Very slow Jaguar shutdown

The Madhatter

Registered
has anyone noticed how slow Jaguar shuts down compared to 10.1? It takes at least 20 seconds, when 10.1 took about 2. This seriously bites if there is no way to fix it because I enjoyed the snappiness of the shutdown on my Mac.

Yeah, I was wondering why it does that myself. I eventually noticed the progress dial like on the startup screen, since I have a dark background. No clue what it's doing.

The very first time I shut Jaguar down, it did take a while, but it's pretty good now. It may have something to do with the fact that it starts up much faster and some of that speed is sacrificed in the shutdown, but who knows. It could be worse.

Do you - for some reason - have to watch it shut down? I may be completely off, as I'm using a PowerBook, which - of course - I never shut down, but can't you let it shut down and go to bed (or whatever) without watching it doing it?

I never shut it down, but the same thing happens on the occasion I need to reboot.

I was thinking about this earlier and realized something. OS X is a Unix system. Unix systems have to shut down daemons and such when you shut it down or reboot. It actually seems more logical that it takes a bit of time as it does in 10.2. No clue how it did it so quickly in 10.1, but I can only imagine that it was killing those processes in a rather ugly manner.

My main question is WHY do we have to reboot - being UNIX???!!!

Can't the process of whatever that was updated just be restarted? Hell even restarting the GUI itself without having to do a full hardware restart (at least I would THINK that the UNIX core would be loaded before the GUI - but then again what do I know about Darwin? :p)

I know that anything major that needed to be done on my Linux box at the most I had to restart X Server... even when a new kernel is installed it doesn't demand to be rebooted (but I'm guessing one should with a new kernel and all)...

Are you kidding? I have never done a modification to the kernel, whether in Linux or Solaris, without having to reboot. It's like running a security update or OS update (10.1.4 to 10.1.5). They all make you reboot.

You all are talking about never shutting down or having to restart, Jaguar crashed on me in the first 10 after installing it. I was trying to mount servers and what not and it came up with this little screen that said, "You need to restart your computer now" in like 5 different languages.

The reason I asked about the slowness was because it was so much faster in 10.1 and was just wondering if anyone knew why the slowed it down. Startup is not too much faster, probably just a few seconds for me. Oh well, it really isn't that big a deal, I was just curious.

Back