Very strange printing problems

macraptor

Registered
My PB400 has been working near perfectly on an Airport network, printing to an old HP 6MP laser printer for the past year in OSX. I upgraded to 10.2.2 a week or two back with no printing problems.

In the past few days, however, print jobs sent by every program EXCEPT Acrobat simply do NOT print. They spool, Print Centre goes through "Processing", the printer blinks away, then suddenly the print job just stops, no error message, and the printer stops blinking without printing the page.

Strangely, I can Preview to Acrobat (5.02), and happily print the page from Acrobat, with absolutely normal printing! Classic prints to the HP perfectly as well. I can also print to the same printer using print sharing via any other computer on the airport network.

I re-installed 10.2.2 update. No joy. I repaired permissions. No joy. Print Centre Repair reported a whole lot of missing files under "Repair Permissions", along the lines of

Error type 1. Unable to repair the contents of the /System/Library/Printers/PBMs/PB_AppleTalk.plugin/Contents directory because one or more of the files are missing or not in the expected locations.

Any explanations or ideas would be most gratefully accepted. Why would Acrobat print fine while preview can not print the same document?

I am having the same problem. I can print only from AppleWorks. All other applications do not print. I have a network with other Macs attached and they print just fine to the printer (HP 2100m). I just loaded OS 10.2.4 and still having the problem. The printer looks like it is going to print, but doesn't. I have tried printing from the Unix prompt. It goes to the printer queue but when I enable the printer, the job disappears. I think I need to talk with an experienced Mac programmer (preferrable from Apple). I don't want to reload the operating system because that would take me weeks to get all of my stuff back on. Any suggestions?

Back