Very Weird G5 Problem

pbook

Registered
Okay, so here's the deal. I wanted to finally use my Airport Express in conjunction with my existing network. I had all the audio cables and whatnot, hooked everything up. When I went back to my G5 to see if it registered the Express, I noticed that a new network had appeared. The name of the network was the default gibberish indicative of new wireless products. I proceeded to join the network, presuming it to be the Express connection. As soon as I did, the computer started acting up; iTunes wouldn't minimize, Safari and other applications didn't work, and the computer overall was going really slow. Eventually I decided to log out and log back in, but when I logged out the computer completely froze. I forced a shutdown via the power button on the front of the G5. When I booted up the computer again, it took forever and when the initial startup bar came to "Starting Login Panel", it stopped. I cannot get the computer to go past this phase at all. I have zapped the non-volatile pram, and it eventually comes to a screen with a bue background and a cursor (which I can move), but stops there. My last resort is to boot from a disk and wipe it clean, but I can't figure out how to get the Superdrive to open.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

I don't think I've seen anything like that before, but I can tell you how to get the CD drive to open. Hold down the Shift key while powering the machine on, and the CD tray should eject. You can then load a disc, shut it down, and then startup while holding the C key to boot from the installer CD.

Back