vetting process

Randman

HA! HA! HA!
The tool thread is interesting but it could be quite easy for someone to take advantage of it, using it to advertise their wares. I've seen the usual suspects of apps mentioned but I've also seen apps there that fly under the radar, and/or get poor feedback from sites such as versiontracker or macupdate.

If someone I know who knows Macs, Zammy, ElDiablo, RacerX, et al, recommend something, I'd feel pretty confident even if I didn't need it. But when just about anyone and their pr agent can submit something, there lies potential problems.
What's the vetting process? If there's not one, I'd recommend that each app gets a checkout (as Rob does with macosxhints) from a mod or appointed watchdog to see if the app actually delivers, as wel as someone eventually offering other choices (for example, if someone offers up the uber-great application launcher F10, then other apps worthy of mention are also included (in this case, adding QuickSilver or the pale imitation of F10 called HimmelBar).

If the new thrust is to appeal to switchers and newbies, then some checks and balances should be placed otherwise poor information could be getting out.

My $.02.

Wouldn't the checks and balances be those who rate it for the contest have to check it out first?

Cheryl said:
Wouldn't the checks and balances be those who rate it for the contest have to check it out first?
If anyone can make the suggestion, what if a creator of an app registered to hawk his shareware app. Is that amazing?

What if someone suggests an app that just isn't good?

Suggesting your own app is fine. We all suggest apps we think are good, some here probably are creators.

If an app isn't good, it won't be getting any votes.

I look at all the apps posted and look on VT for reviews. It something has a terrible review, I'll add it to the post.

bobw said:
I look at all the apps posted and look on VT for reviews. It something has a terrible review, I'll add it to the post.
Saw you were doing that. That's exactly along the lines of what I was suggesting.

Back