Video Card Comparison

daleslad

Registered
Hi I just bought a new video card but it doesn't seem any better than the one I've got. I got it to see if I could get better frame rates playing games Is there a way I can compare them to see how much different they are.
Thanks
Jim

You could turn on the FPS display in your games to see how fast it is going.

What is your computer specs and the different cards. While a fast graphics card is important, a fast CPU and RAM can also be the limiting factor, it may be possible that your CPU can't keep up with the video card.

Hi I have a 1.25 ghz cpu and 2 gigs of ram
My new card is the ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 4x/8x AGP 256MB Dual DVI Video Card.
My old one was a NVDA,GeForce4Ti 4600 128mb.
I've been watching my fps during the game and I didn't see too much difference between the two cards. I was expecting to see a big change judging from all of the reviews about the new card.

HAve you tried checking ATI's site to see if they have updated drivers? I did that and it seemed to help 3D performance some (I have an iMac G5 which has the built-in ATI RADEON 9600).

Thanks NixGeek for the suggestion I have checked it out and at first when I would click on the Drivers link it would give me a choice of systems which in turn would take me to OS X downloads. Unfortunately there was nothing there so I tried to send a ticket for help in finding why there was nothing available. I found that I couldn't even do that with Safari some of the links wouldn't work so I tried IE which I rarely use and was able to go to the Drivers link and this time there was a download available. It was ATI Displays 4.5.6 so I dl'd that and loaded it on. I don't know yet if it has made a difference but thanks for heads up anyway.

The 9600 Pro is a more powerful card than the GF4Ti, but I think it's your CPU that's holding things back. Your games are probably CPU limited.

Yes I think you are probably right I will just have to wait for the G6 coming out with the Intel processor and see how that does.
Thanks for the reply a2daj.

Back