Video Card Compatible?

Matsaki

Registered
Hi,
How or where can I find out what Video Cards that are working on my G4 Quicksilver?

I only wnat to use it for S-Video in/out (I think)

Well if it works with my old (non digital) Video camera thats good as well :)

You won't find a video card for a mac that has s-video in, a few will have out. The only retail card that works for a mac that is currently sold is the ATI Radeon 7000 PCI. Other then that, they will all have only DVI, VGA, or ADC connectors. A normal PC video card will not work with a mac, only mac specific ones.

Brian

italiano said:
Yeah - the Beige A/V tower had SVHS in but newer ones will need an additional "box" that converts.

You mean S-Video. SVHS and S-Video are two completely seperate things. SVHS is SuperVHS which is an enchanced VHS system developed by Panasonic. S-Video is a type of connection, also called Y/C, the Y part is the black and white video signal, the C part is the color information.

Many companies incorrectly label SVideo cables as SVHS which confuses consumers.

Brian

Matsaki said:
Hi,
How or where can I find out what Video Cards that are working on my G4 Quicksilver?

I only wnat to use it for S-Video in/out (I think)

Well if it works with my old (non digital) Video camera thats good as well :)

OWC (http://www.macsales.com/) lists two for your Mac: The ATI RADEON 9800 Pro and the ATI RADEON 9000 Pro. Only the 9800 has the S-video port along with DVI and VGA ports. The 9000 has ADC and DVI ports.

If you want to add another card to the system and keep your original card as well, your only option is the ATi Radeon 7000 PCI card which has an S-Video out port. The reason for this is that your computer has only one AGP port and if you add a card, it must be a PCI card.

If you wish to replace your original card, then the 9800 Pro and the 9000 Pros are good cards.

Back