Video Card Switching? GeForce/ATI/GeForce Ti?

Padawanmage

Registered
Okay, here's a wierd one. What will happen if I switch from one video card to another to another? Will OS 10.1.5 have the drivers available and simply run fine, or will I have to install some drivers? I recently installed a GeForce 4 MX on my system, a friend of mine would like to see if an ATI card that was flashed from PC to MAC will work (ATI Radeon 8500), and I'm expecting a GeForce Titanium next week. Will all this switching nuke my system? Or will it simply be the long sought after Plug and Play? Thanks...:confused:

feh

ive been looking at articles and it seems the success rate is kind of low with the 8500 so you ruined my hopes i thought you had the solution ;)

I was able to flash a PC Radeon 8500.

Here are the steps I used (gleaned from MacNN & xlr8yourmac forums):

1. Bought PC 8500 Radeon card from Newegg.com rated at 275/275 for $109.
2. Booted into OS9.2
3. Installed Firmware RESTORE (from ATI firmware downloaded)into startup folder.
4. Shut down. Removed original ATI card, installed Radeon 8500.
5. Restarted leaving CRT unconnected, waited 5 min, shut down.
6. Replaced Radeon with original card. Restarted, replaced the FIRMWARE RESTORE with Firmware UPDATE. Shut down.
7. Reinstalled the Radeon 8500. Restarted. Waited 5 min. Shut down.
8. Reconnected the CRT. Restarted and reset the PRAM (Waited for 5-6 chimes ... lost count{sheepish grin})
9. Installed the drivers in OS9. Booted into OSX Installed he drivers and everything is working great. 
:D

Back