Video Podcasts have no video when played in iTunes or quicktime

asinclair

Registered
Hi have several trailers downloaded from apple.com, as well as several video podcasts (bacbreak video, david pogue NYT) in my podcasts section of my iTunes library.

Up to a few days ago, no problem. But recently, when I play them, the audio plays fine, but the video window only shows black (at the correct size for the podcast).

I've tried to open the appropriate files from the Finder with quicktime (same problem, it black video, audio ok) and with VLC (works just fine).

So this only affects iTunes and Quicktime... However, all the videos in the Movies and TV shows section (none purchased from iTunes store) work just fine.
The problem is ONLY when playing video podcasts in iTunes or Quicktime.
If it was any video in iTunes, I'd assume it was a corrupt codec or something, but something only affecting the video podcasts...

Any ideas please?

Have you installed any plugins like DivX, XviD, 3ivx, Perian etc.? You say the problems with the trailers as well, so not only podcasts are affected.

I've had Perian installed for months, and the problem only started recently, so I doubt that's it...

I'm checking on another idea I had... it seems that all the videos I have in the podcasts section use the H264 codec, whereas everything I have in movies and tv shows, which I transcoded myself use mpeg-4.

Am not done checking every single video and podcast yet, but that seems to be the rule... And so far, all the videos I've checked with H264 do not display video when played...

forgot to mention (it might be relevant)
intel core 2 duo macbook (black) 1gb RAM, OSx 10.4.10, with all available apple updates. (I think I downloaded a quicktime update a week or two before I noticed this problem)

Can you check whether iTunes/Quicktime are really, really, really up-to-date? :)

Everything is really really up-to-date :)

Your earlier advice helped, by the way.

I moved all the plugins out of /Library/Quicktime and iTunes now works normally again.

But obviously, I no longer have divx or wmv support in quicktime...

How would you recommend proceeding to restore my pre-problem configuration? Reinstall each individual piece of software ?

I just Installed/upgraded to the newest version of Itunes and Quicktime this morning, and now all of a sudden, no of my video podcasts will play either, well actually the audio plays but no video. I even tried downloading a new video podcast in case it was something wrong with the files, but even the one i downloaded from itunes does not play the video...

Same here. After updating to the new iTunes I suddenly can't see the video on podcasts. All I get is audio.

Back