ViiV - Mac mini

senne

Registered
This morning I've read in the newspaper that the PC-attached-to-TV market is growing. You don't have to read a newspaper to know that, but ... whatever. They talked about Intel releasing the ViiV, which is especially designed for recording and playing video.

Imagine watching the latest blockbuster movie, playing the hottest graphic-intensive game, or rocking out to a live concert in high-definition with theatre quality surround sound from the comfort of your living room.

Intel's new platform for digital entertainment—Intel® Viiv™ technology—will launch in early 2006 with the multitasking power of a dual-core processor-based PC and sleek new designs that fit your lifestyle.

I can't find which processor it is using, but wouldn't it be using the same as the (Intel) Mac mini will use? Isn't the Mac mini evolving to a media center? Especially when Front Row will be built in too, and I'm pretty sure this will happen.

I'm not following the whole Intel-mania, so I can be totally wrong. If so, just ignore this! :)

I'm still not sure whether the ViiV platform is somehow linked to software – and, of course, Windows software as such. We'll certainly hear more about it soon (it's CES right now...). But the Mac mini's concept is to be the entry-level Mac. I doubt it'll change into something completely different...

I thnk you are 100% right... Gates mentioned at yesterdays keynote at CES Viiv and how Vista will be the operating system that runs it.

Well: Apple could of course _also_ make use of the _hardware_ features of the ViiV platform. So let's take a look at what we know of ViiV's features...

intel says this:

"An Intel Viiv technology-based PC:

1) Features optional remote control operation from the comfort of your couch, and instant on/off functionality like a TV (after initial boot, when activated)
2) Has cutting-edge technology, including a dual-core processor and advanced graphics and sound capability for an amazing audio/visual experience
3) Offers access to content on demand with easy Internet access to movies, music, pictures and games
4) Has the ability to record, pause, and rewind live TV programs1
5) Comes in different shapes and sizes to fit any style home, including small consumer electronics-type designs that look like DVD players to more traditional desktop designs
6) Provides state-of-the-art PC performance including support for up to 7.1 channel surround sound for a home theater-quality entertainment experience"

Now let's see. The next Mac mini already has number one covered with "Sleep" and, quite possibly, FrontRow with a remote control.
Number two should be a given, too, for the next Mac mini.
Apple has the technology for number three with the iTunes Store. Not much in the game department, I think, but still, the number's basically covered.
Number four could be interesting. Didn't Apple recruit one of those Elgato guys?
Number five is covered, Apple already does good design.
Number six is not where Apple's shining. But I'd _love_ Apple to provide better support for newer sound systems.

The ViiV platform, to me, looks like it's nothing really new. And it can only be good with the right choice of software and software design. So: If Apple takes one of those "dual-core processor and advanced graphics and sound capability" boards mentioned in number two, it's pretty much ViiV - but probably missing a couple of things on the software side.

Viiv is not software but hardware, it's a chip set like is Centrino for portable computing, and indeed a very good chipset.

The OS can be Vista or FrontRow...

I think intel has the definition pretty down to what they think it is, and I'm sure that when they show off ViiV PCs, there's software involved. ;)

The point of Viiv is that Intel takes a lot of the common needs of multimedia to the hardware level so less software is involved. Things like Dolby Digital 7.1 Surround sound built into the hardware, remote control built in etc.

Should be good if Apple can leverage it well.

much more hardware involved video encoding/decoding is what i'm excited about. it takes 7 hours to encode two hours of video at the moment on my dual G5.

I just don't see ViiV going to a 499 USD computer, really... Sony has announced their first ViiV computer. Entry-level is something about 1500 USD, I've seen. Also, a media center PC needs larger harddrives. And full size drives don't fit into the mini. Another site (internet.com, found a link in German, but its info isn't that important other than...) claiming ViiV PCs will cost between 1500 and 1800 USD. I _don't_ think these prices are just the imagination of the article-writers and Sony. So *if* Apple takes ViiV, I'd say their ViiV Mac would _not_ replace the Mac mini. It might _look_ similar, but certainly won't be in its price range.

But Apple _could_ do the following:

1.) Release a new Mac mini based on the Centrino Duo platform.
2.) Add FrontRow capability.
3.) Add the option (!) of a TV tuner of some kind.

There's your poor man's media center. And one I'd pretty much _like_, too. But it wouldn't be ViiV just because it does _some_ similar stuff.

Back