Virex vs Norton AntiVirus--which is better?

Which would you use, fill in the why below.

• Symantec Norton Antivirus

• McAffee Virex

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gwailo

B.A. Economics (Hon)
Which one would you go with and why?

We're talking about the new McAffee Virex released with .Mac versus the newest 7.0.1 version of Symantec Norton Anti-Virus.

So, is this "Free" Virex software deal include future Virus Definition updates? I mean, normally you pay yearly to get updated Virus lists. Is this true here?

Great.. ANOTHER thing to pay yearly.

why do you need virus protection? macs don't get viruses. that's like getting a smallpox vaccination.

You're right there, Xaq.

I only had one Virus on OS 8 and 9. It was called "666" (AKA SevenDust) and fortunately it was the undestructive version. Some versions of 666 would destroy data right and left or just infect menu resources. I just got an annoying version that did nothing harmful. But I killed it with a free Virus scanner called Agax and that was that.

Other than that, I've only seen viruses on PC's. My first was AntiBIOS on an infected floppy disk at school. Killed it instantly. My favorite was Class.poppy which wreaked havok at work. Was fun to look at the source code, though. (It's a VBA Virus)

But there's ONE virus that I like. It isn't one I had. It's one my friend had on his XP PC two months ago. It destroyed half his daya in a few minutes before he stopped it. And it emailed itself to his friends via his addressbook and caused them all to get mad at him. needless to say, his iMac arrives shortly.

To quote my friend: "Windows is the worst operating system ever made!"

Originally posted by xaqintosh
why do you need virus protection? macs don't get viruses. that's like getting a smallpox vaccination.

Well, I think the idea is to buy an umbrella *before* the rain starts...
I agree with you tho', for me Anti Virus software (especially now on OS X) has always been more of a pain than a benefit.
I do have both Norton and Virex but they're just waiting on my HD, not actively installed. Just in case.

Back