Virginia Tech to build one of world's five fastest computers... with Dual G5s

If they do run linux, I wonder how that will work with respect to controlling the cooling fans? I thought the fans were controlled by the OS?

Or they could just not bother about it and have them blasting at full speed all the time.:eek:

I'd assume that's some sort of air conditioning unit, but I wonder if they are actually controlling the fans or if they are on full tilt.

That somehow surprises me ... OS X or OS X server wasn't exactly designed for these kind of setups or the scientific computations involved ...

curious, very curious ...

I'm sure it will also be a huge student draw. I know they are attempting to make it into the list of the top 300 super computers which is compiled some time relatiuvely soon this year (they would actually make it into the top 5 if they are all up and running on time). It takes 6 days with 20 some volenteers just moving the damn things. Apple needed to get the computers out so the V Tech computer guys can set them up in time (imagine having to install the same pieces of software 1100 times over, then fixing the ones that dont work, and reinstalling). man

If I were one of those guys, I'd be hauling each one, and every time I have to walk away a tear would fall from my eye, since that's one more G5 I have to handle that I can't play with... then I'd heave a big *sigh*...

I wonder where they'll put them all. Underground maybe?

What about Teslanet? :)

Before you ask, read Douglas Rushkoff's Exit Strategy.

Wow, it "only" costs $5.2 million, "one of the cheapest systems of its kind"! They must have gotten some serious discounts, especially with 4 GB of RAM per node.

If and when I visit the east coast, I am going to tour this system. I have to see this. 1100 G5's linked together? What Mac fanatic wouldn't want to see this? (Note: a user is not necessarily a fanatic, before you all start saying "I don't.")

i want to see it too, i think i know someone who goes there but i am not sure if it is one of the other Virgina's or that one lol, he isnt a mac user either :(

Back