Virtual Box (or Parallels or VMWare Fusion) and BootCamp

WindowsLeopard7

Registered
can i have both virtual box and bootcamp installed? is there a special order i have to install them in? can i make them share the disk space (when setting the programs up, you have to choose a part of the hard drive u want to give them. can they both have the same part of the hard drive?)?

thanks already,
WL7

can i have both virtual box and bootcamp installed?
Yes.

is there a special order i have to install them in?
No.

can i make them share the disk space (when setting the programs up, you have to choose a part of the hard drive u want to give them. can they both have the same part of the hard drive?)?
No.

VirtualBox creates virtual machines in separate, monolithic files stored somewhere on your hard drive.

Boot Camp creates a physical partition and installs Windows onto that partition, extremely similar to the way you would do on a normal PC.

Boot Camp has no idea what VirtualBox's machines are, and vice-versa. They basically have no "knowledge" of each other at all. You cannot share any disk space between the two.

Parallels, on the other hand, can run Windows either via a monolithic file like VirtualBox, or it can use your Boot Camp partition. In this case, you would more than likely want to partition and install Windows via Boot Camp first, then install and "point" Parallels to your Boot Camp partition for use. It doesn't have to be in this order, though. You can install Parallels first, but you won't have anything to "point" it to until you install Boot Camp, though.

Just FYI -- VirtualBox/Parallels/Fusion are "virtualization" technologies (run Windows inside of Mac OS X). Boot Camp is not a virtualization technology (run Windows alongside Mac OS X). Virtualization technologies allow you to boot a virtualized copy of Windows while Mac OS X is currently running. Non-virtualization technologies (like Boot Camp) require you to reboot back and forth between Windows and Mac OS X.

This also works fine on VMWare. When setting it up, select the Bootcamp partition. It will make some abbreviations to Windows installed on the Bootcamp, but work perfectly on Virtual and Bootcamp. Not sure why the other guy said only Parallels works.

Back