Virtual Desktop for PowerPC Mac

LeoTheLion89

Registered
i want to use a virtual machine and run a Winodws desktop on my mac for reasons that i cant do with OS X. Problem is i have had no luck VirtualBox does not work on PowerPC and 2 applicaions i had no luck with (ant remember hte names) i want something free and i dont know any other virtual software im austomed to VirtualBox

Your choices are limited.
The most widely used, I think, is VirtualPC for OS X, which Microsoft bought from Connectix, then killed when Apple moved to Intel processors.
Not that it was very good - and certainly not free... VirtualPC emulated the entire PC in software, so you have a wonderful Pentium II, with a 440BX chipset, and other 'high end' stuff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Virtual_PC#Emulated_environment
As you like Win2000, might be a good fit for a virtual enviro... You can probably find VirtualPC for Mac on eBay, or somewhere...

Then, there's Q - http://www.kju-app.org/
It's based on open-source QEMU, from what I read.
It's free...

Someone could mention Bochs, but I don't know anything about that one.

is VB free? it would suck if its not because its free on Windows
A simple search could have answered this question is less time than you needed to type your question.

only problem with Q is i cant get my Mac to see the Windows 2000 install CD
That is not how you install the OS for an emulator. The OS is installed from within the running emulator or with the aid of a provided installer utility.

Kerrect!
You won't expect the Mac (in OS X) to see your Win2000 CD.
It's all done from within the emulator.

VirtualBox is free, BTW
But, Intel only, so can't work on PPC.

VirtualPC, on the other hand, being a 'wonderful' MS product, is a free product for Windows. The Mac version is not free - ain't microsoft wonderful?

Have you tried other Win2000 installer CDs?
Do you have an XP CD that you could try?
That's just to check if a different type of Win install might work.

I don't have Q.
Are there any troubleshooting read me files with that?

Configuring your virtual desktops in Mac OS X is really easy, just launch the System Preferences and click on the ‘Expose & Spaces’ icon, where you’ll see a screen with various options, including how many virtual workspaces you want to use

Back