Virtual Desktop Pager for OSX?

DrHogie

Registered
Now that I've got 10.1 on my iBook, I've started looking into new apps/software for it. However, the one thing that I can't find that I'm really missing from my *NIX desktops is some type of virtual pager application to fit into the dock.

The way it works in the Linux distributions I've seen is you turn your current screen into a grid of screens of any formation (2x2 is normally what's used, but you can do any size you want). Programs can then be drug into any of the screens you want, and you have a handy little grid that shows up and displays your different screens. Just click on a different screen in the grid and you're taken there.

Since the Dock would be a perfect place to store the app for this, is there any such program out there for OSX? The only OS I've really ever seen this implemented the best on was Linux. Windows has some versions of these types of applications, but they don't work as well (I think the WindowBlinds suite had the best one I've seen).

A good screenshot of this is here. It's in the lower left of the shot.

Has anyone found an application like this? It would help out tremendously on my iBook since the biggest resolution I can get is 1024x768.

Thanks in advance,
DrHogie

You might try Space from Codeclever for this. I had been using in 10.0.4 and it worked really well. I've not yet installed it on 10.1, so as always, YMMV...

Space.app -- that was the name of that program some one told me about. However, I never could get it working right in either 10.0.4 or 10.1.

From what I can tell from the webpage, that does kinda sorta what I'm looking for, but it doesn't present an easy way to switch between desktops (still getting used to this ctrl-click thing). Is that the only type of program like this out there?

Originally posted by DrHogie
Space.app -- that was the name of that program some one told me about. However, I never could get it working right in either 10.0.4 or 10.1.

From what I can tell from the webpage, that does kinda sorta what I'm looking for, but it doesn't present an easy way to switch between desktops (still getting used to this ctrl-click thing). Is that the only type of program like this out there?
Man, space.app rocks, but hasn't been updated for ages. There are still many features I'd love to see (like having different ie windows on different desktops), but alas.. we'll just have to wait until someone updates it (it's on sourceforge, so whoever wants to update it go ahead!).

yah, space is the only virtual desktop program thats been written for OSX, and its extremely limited, although still very useful. I would kill to see a good VD implementation on OSX. I begged apple to write their own (it would seriously not take very long at all for apple to do), but alas they did not. I have a feeling they might implement such a feature in future versions, but the next major revision is atleast 6 months away, i assume. and even then I doubt it will make the cut. maybe OS 11.

Originally posted by billybob
yah, space is the only virtual desktop program thats been written for OSX, and its extremely limited, although still very useful. I would kill to see a good VD implementation on OSX. I begged apple to write their own (it would seriously not take very long at all for apple to do), but alas they did not. I have a feeling they might implement such a feature in future versions, but the next major revision is atleast 6 months away, i assume. and even then I doubt it will make the cut. maybe OS 11.
maybe. hopefully.
<wishful thinking/silly rumor>
maybe apple bought nriley out and space.app will be in osx 11! heh
</wtsr>

I wish you could post anonymously on these boards, oh well . . .

Space.app is an interesting thing but not a true ‘virtual desktop’, for a true ‘virtual desktop’ system Apple would have to build it into Aqua which I don’t see them doing anytime soon because of Dock.app.

--ag

I must throw my name into this hat as well. I can't program without virtual desktops anymore; the instant gear-switching between tasks is just too nice to give up. The task-grouping is simply brilliant with virtual desktops (ie, one window for email/IM/news, another for web stuff, another for productivity apps, another with code editors). If you haven't used it, just imagine as many multiple monitors as you want for no cost and no desktop space.

Originally posted by allengoodman
I wish you could post anonymously on these boards, oh well . . .

Space.app is an interesting thing but not a true ‘virtual desktop’, for a true ‘virtual desktop’ system Apple would have to build it into Aqua which I don’t see them doing anytime soon because of Dock.app.

--ag
It's true that real virtual desktops would require digging into the display server, but the managed show/hide of application sets that space.app gives you does the trick to some degree.. Real virtual desktops would be nice though, and should be pretty simple to put in (by apple). I only wish that space.app would allow you to manage sets of windows, not just sets of applications.

Back