Virtual desktops

Originally posted by strobe
I suggest people sit down and figure out a more ideal system before fawning over the virtual screen hack.

As for Apple I can thing if a billion things higher on their priority list. Hopefully fixing multiple monitor support is much, much higher than this.

I've been away from these fora for maybe two or three weeks and you're still on multiple monitor support issues? Damn, things never change, do they? LOL

I promise you man, they're fixing it, they're fixing it!

I'd like the option, though. If it ought to be 1st in order of importance or not isn't the issue, IMO. One of the issues I've got in osX is that I'm on an iMac giving me only 1024x768 (i.e., the overall look-&-feel of 8x600 in osX). Other things, too...like the Finder not being in one layer, etc. inspire me to like the idea of virtual desktops in osX.

Noel

Strobe,

You obviously see the use of having multiple monitors. I have an iBook now - no feasible multiple monitor solution. Virtual desktops is the closest I can get to having multiple monitors.

I don't mean to sound accusatory, but gees, you always insist YOUR workflow is the only valid workflow. Give it a rest man. If somebody finds the desktop, virtual spaces and etc useful don't tell them they are wrong.

BTW - the Space dockling is more of a Dock manager than a virtual screen.

Jove

This has nothing to do with multiple monitors versus virtual screens. Virtual screens is a bad idea in and of itself.

Some may like em,
other like strobe may not,
and others like me dont really care for them.

Whether one likes or dislikes em from a UI interface point of view or a theoretical point of view is their business. It's just like the apple menu, or the three button mouse, or even the dock.

Everyone thinks, acts, and likes different things, it's normal.
If one of ou in here has a Ph. D. in Computer science and knows what he is talking about in a theoretical manner, and is for or against virtual desktops, let him come forth and explain his arguments, if it's just a preference issue, just deal with it people, One of yous likes chocolate, the other vanilla, and the other strawberry, it's all in the ice cream box, everyone's happy. Period.

Admiral

Strobe,

"Virtual screens is a bad idea in and of itself."

Wow, that is truly a convincing argument. Many individuals have sighted real life examples how they find Virtual Desktops useful. Why, beyond the theoretical, are Virtual Desktops and thier kin a bad idea? Alternatives?

Jove

Jove, don't ask a question. You'll just encourage more ridiculous responses.

There's no need for anyone to justify their preferences to Strobe. If he doesn't like how we use our computers, that's too bad for him. I just hope he doesn't give himself a heart attack freaking out about other people's business.

-Rob

Haaa haaa haaaa..... :D

I guess this would be a bad time to tell you guys that I put some whipped cream and a cherry on top of my monitor everytime I use OS X.

LOL :p

Admiral

I've got my G3 with a rage orion card as well as the onboard video, and it works great with two monitors.

Now, occasionally, If I go down to 800x600, I do get the wierd video-mirroring-on-half-the-screen effect. But if I just bump it back up, maybe move the other screen a bit things get back to normal (1600x1200 and 1152x768, I think).

I gota agree about the virtural desktop stuff. I mean, there is no doubt that it is usefull. But, it is a personal thing. My old dad likes his PowerBook g3 at 640x480, so he can read it. True, you can hardly see from the tool bar in netscape to the lower status line, but atlease he can read it ;-).

Wana see something funny in windows? Make a vb program (or C, whatever you perfer) that will load 300 copies of calc.exe. Talk about cluttering windows! The task bar is now utterly useless. So, I guess it all just depends on what you are doing.

Spaces is great, but it is not as well integrated as the multiple desktops of CDE. CDE allows you to have different windows from one application in different desktops. Spaces requires that all the windows of one application be in the same desktop. That is limiting.

But still I love Spaces.... Otherwise I'd have to buy a much larger monitor much sooner. The idea that OS X has no need for multiple desktops.... well, that's one perspective.

---John

Toadstool, CDE comes from the Open Software Foundation or www.OSF.org.

I am a Solaris, guy, love sun hardware, owned many workstation. Put Mac OS X has made me a believer.

But I do like virtual screens, it is great to have netscape in one, and development of vi command line terminal in another and star office in the third, and System Admin in the four, and the firth and sixth runnning remote SETI at home on other suns. Doing this I was ranked 49th in the Beta trials.

Back