Virtual PC 3 / OS9 and VooDoo

Durandle

Registered
I have setup Virtual PC 3.0.3 on OS 9.2 with a VooDoo2 so that I can get some old 3D PC games working, like Half Life and similar. It works better than expected, 800x600 with few frame drops.... however Virtual PC seems VERY unstable on 9.2 - it crashes with an error type 7 every 10 minutes or so. Its not a driver (extension) error as I have removed all but the very base ones and I still get the error. Can some one help me out with info - i need to know which most recent OS can run Virtual PC 3.0.3 without crashing as I am guessing that the error is 9.2 based.

On a further note, has any one here had experience in doing this? Mouse support in 3D programs seems completly broken (lags and has massive oversensitivity). The mouse problems were fixed in newer versions of VPC, but then all verions above 3 have had the VooDoo support removed. Is there a fix? (or a fix for RealPC mouse support as that has the same error but it does not crash every few minutes).

Any way, if there is no fix its not too bad, the voodoo2 card onl cost me £10 so not a huge loss, and it works well for Unreal Tourny which sucks in RAVE and has errors in OpenGL.

I have virtual PC3 as well and though I haven't tried running nor do I have an answer to your question, but even when I try running internet explorer after booting up with VPC3 I crash with regularity.

The only thing I can think of is to increase the memory allotment to VPC to be as high as possible and don't run any other programs at the same time. Let me know what you think and if you have any other ideas.

Sounds like its an OS 9.2 error then... I used to use VPC 3 on my old iMac with 8.5 and it never crashed like it does now... now to findout if 8.5 works on the newer G4s. Thanks any way, helps to know that its not just my machine crashing.

Back