What's new in this version:

• Password Protection and Security
  • Sockets-Based Shared Networking
  • Advanced COM Port Settings
  • CPU Usage Controls
  • "Type CTRL-ALT-DEL" Menu Item
  • Long Filename Support for Shared Folders
  • Improved Printing Help and Printer Icon in Virtual PC Toolbar
  • Fixed bug that caused occasional issues with Windows XP installation and stability.
  • Fixed component in the Virtual PC Additions that caused instability in the network provider DLL in Windows XP. This had caused hangs during the initial boot of the Windows XP Home and Professional OS Packs as well as the Windows XP Home image that shipped with Virtual PC 5.0.
  • Modified USB code for isochronous devices (such as webcams).
  • Fixed issues related to sleeping and waking machines with Virtual PC running in full-screen mode.
  • Fixed issues with sleeping and waking a machine with multiple monitors running Virtual PC.
  • Various fixes to try to avoid stuttering when playing sounds in a PC in Mac OS X.
  • Various fixes in Virtual PC for AppleScript compatibility.
  • Fix crashing bug when the user does not have USB installed in their system under Mac OS 9 and they restore a saved state. This bug could cause a Beige G3 to crash on restore.
  • Fixed a synchronization issue that would cause rare random crashes on multi-processor machines.
  • Fixed a problem in the serial port emulation that could cause a rare crash.
  • Added a fix to avoid the "Another copy of Virtual PC is already running on this machine" dialog when Virtual PC was re-launched after a crash.

On a side note, I haven't been able to reach connectix.com. Anybody else?

I can't connect either... I've also read on versiontracker that it seems to make VPC slower... Wondering if that's true.

Yeah, I won't upgrade if it's slower, either. That's more like a downgrade if you ask me. The new features sound nice, but 5.0.2 works fine for what I use it for and fast.

How well and fast does Virtual PC work in MacOS X? I have been thinking about getting it, but I haven't been sure whether it would be worth the money or not. I already have a copy of the OS I would want to use under VPC, so I probably would want to buy a version that comes with an OS other than DOS. Has anyone had any issues with installing a copy of their own OS after purchasing the basic VPC version with no Windows OS? I've been told that you can easily do this. I'd really like to get some real perspective on what people think of the product, especially in OS X. I'm particularlly interested in knowing how fast it runs as compared to a regular PC running Windows.

VPC 5.0.2 works okay under OS X (see my specs below). It's not fast, but bearable. It all comes down to what you'll need it for. I mainly have it to use IE on PC to check sites I've developed, so I don't need too much horsepower.

I purchased the basic version (VPC with DOS 2000) and installing Windows 2000 Pro on it was a piece of cake. Much simpler than I thought it would be.

I use it to VPN into my work network and run Terminal Server to manage my network; granted, it's not the fastest solution, but it works and it beats having to have 2 boxes up and running all the time.

Cheers.

Originally posted by RHITMacMan
How well and fast does Virtual PC work in MacOS X? I have been thinking about getting it, but I haven't been sure whether it would be worth the money or not. I already have a copy of the OS I would want to use under VPC, so I probably would want to buy a version that comes with an OS other than DOS. Has anyone had any issues with installing a copy of their own OS after purchasing the basic VPC version with no Windows OS? I've been told that you can easily do this. I'd really like to get some real perspective on what people think of the product, especially in OS X. I'm particularlly interested in knowing how fast it runs as compared to a regular PC running Windows.

I purchased the basic version (VPC with DOS 2000) and installing Windows 2000 Pro on it was a piece of cake. Much simpler than I thought it would be.

That's great to hear since this was exactly was I was planning to do. Either Windows 2000 or RedHat or Mandrake Linux. Don't happen to remember how much you paid for the basic version. I thought it was only like $59 at one time for the basic DOS version. Someone told me it was more expensive now though.

Originally posted by RHITMacMan

That's great to hear since this was exactly was I was planning to do. Either Windows 2000 or RedHat or Mandrake Linux. Don't happen to remember how much you paid for the basic version. I thought it was only like $59 at one time for the basic DOS version. Someone told me it was more expensive now though.

I paid $99.00, but I bought it at the Apple Store, so you might be able to find it a bit cheaper elsewhere.

Back