Virtual PC 5.0.4

wizzard

Registered
Hi,

I have just installed VPC and Windows XP but my windows is so slow if i install or run anything. I have a Dual PowerMAC G4 867 with 512DDR Ram and a Ati Rage 9000 Pro. Is this normal that vpc is so slow?

Cheers
Kris

Ya it is pretty slow, I just use it to verify websites i am working on. There are a number of little tweaks you can do to optimize XP for VPC. check the VPC website of do a search on google. Basically just things like drop shadows and skins and stuff like that.

I was visiting the site to say the same thing. I installed it on my laptop and figured it was slow because I didn't have enough memory... but then I put it on my dual 533MHz (after removing it from my laptop) and had the same speed issues.

Very difficult to actually use it.

one more thing that helps...make sure you install VPC additions. there is a link for it if you hold down 'command' and look click the small icon for it in the bottom left of the window. or just look in the help files on how to install

Just use windows 98 or 95 with VPC instead. That'll speed it up pretty much. Also if possible for you, use VPC 3 or 4 in OS 9. Those versions are faster than 5 in os X.

At least that's my experience.

- Fred

I would never even think about using VPC as an production environment because it is much to slow. Get yourself a cheap PC from Dell or so and you'll be much more happy. I use a pentium 150 Mhz sometimes and it is faster then my VPC. Even a second hand PC with win98 will be better than VPC is my opinion.
I use VPC mainly in a test environment to add an extra windows client to my network.

I would have to agree... if you use VPC as a production machine you're asking for trouble. The reason I installed it was to collect data on a website, using a plugin that my company purchased. Frankly I'm thinking of removing it from my machine. It seems to be causing memory related issues in other environments. Very strange.

Still, it would be nice if it was a bit faster. I hate waiting for windows to draw.

Back