Virtual PC 5 performance?

nobody

Registered
Just wondering if anyone out there has used VPC5 yet. I'm especially interested in how it runs in OS X, particularily if you have dual processors.

So what's the story? There were some pretty ambitious claims circulating before it was released.

Is there firewire support in VPC5?

I want to be able to connect to my DV Camcorder in a windows environment via firewire!

I read that firewire DV doesn't work via emulation. I don't know how well it runs, though. I am a poor college student--send me money and I'll buy it!

-JARinteractive

i am not at all impressed. running Win 98 on iMac 400Mhz and performance is terrible. It isn't even an option to use Kazaa with it. However, I've got the feeling that it should run much and much better. Maybe someone who has a suggestion?:(

RAM, RAM, RAM...

VPC likes a good fast processor, but it LOVES a good amount of RAM...Connectix suggests 192MB installed in your Mac to run Windows 2000 or XP, but I would suggesting getting at least 392MB (really, this should be the OS X minimum...if you have less and you think your performance is good, it isnt!)

In VPC 4.0, I gave Win 2000 192MB for itself, and it ran acceptably on my iBook 500. Contrast that to my 600MHz iMac with 128 MB where 48MB are given to Win 2000 and performance is gawdawful!

Seriously, its been said a million times, but RAM is the real key to performance in OS X (and in 9, but more so in X)...all Macs sold today have at least 128, and 256 MB is only $30 (for the iBook, even less for other models).

maybe they made a mistake...
versiontracker lists it as supporting dual processors in OS X (but probably not in classic)

Back