Virtual PC 6 Questions.

yupyup, this is true.
FYI, XP runs much faster on G4 systems with VPC 6 than 98 or 2k. weird. i guess it's how connectix optimized it.

Originally posted by boi
yupyup, this is true.
FYI, XP runs much faster on G4 systems with VPC 6 than 98 or 2k. weird. i guess it's how connectix optimized it.

I've never used this program yet... I am excited to get my hands on it... M$ products are still inferior compared to Mac :)

I installed VPC at home on a DP 867. It runs comparably to the DP 1 gig. I stumbled upon the full screen mode and noticed the mouse runs a wee bit smoother when doing so (or am I just imagining that?).

Unfortunately, I have no manual since I ordered the download VPC, and they only provide a Quickstart PDF. I can't figure out simple things like how to see Mac files/volumes. And is it just me or does drag-n-drop from the Mac side not work to bring files over into VPC? That sucks if true. How convenient would that be?!

Based on XP speed claims in this thread, I am now very seriously considering getting XP. We'll see.

Originally posted by mindbend

Unfortunately, I have no manual since I ordered the download VPC, and they only provide a Quickstart PDF. I can't figure out simple things like how to see Mac files/volumes. And is it just me or does drag-n-drop from the Mac side not work to bring files over into VPC? That sucks if true. How convenient would that be?!

At the bottom of the VPC window (when you have the windows Os running and hold apple) there are a few small icons. A Hard Drive, a CD and a few others. The last one looks like an extension (probably light grey). Click on that and you should be able to install some extra stuff. Then, once thats done, in go to the OS setting (first small window of VPC) and go to 'shared folder'. In there you can tell it to share all volumes.

Now that might be kind of a rough explination because i dont have VPC in front of me.

Twister

OK, maybe I'm just easily impressed, but VPC 6 (Win XP Pro) under 10.2.3 on my DP 1 gig (original model) is really impressive. It's even better now that I installed the "additions" from Connectix. Drag and drop from the desktop in OS X works. CONVENIENT!!!

I finally figured out how to create a shared folder. Other PCs and Macs can see it and send files to it, but I still can't figure out how to see another machine (PC or Mac) from the Win XP virtual machine. Could just be me.

OK, everybody is always most concerned with performance. Now let's be real about this. VPC is NOT going to keep up with a real PC in any way shape or form. The real question is, can I use PC apps or development situations from time to time and not go insane? The answer is a resounding YES.

Office apps launch very fast and are very usable. The XP GUI is a tad slow, but after dealing with OS X's early GUI days, it's workable. Quitting VPC and choosing "Save State" relaunches later amazingly fast. I cannot believe how fast you can have a Virtual machine ready to go again. You can get several virtual machines going in no time flat. Amazing.

I have never used VPC before now, so I have no idea if the speed is way better than before, or about the same. All I know is that, for me, an occasional niche PC app user, it works GREAT!

For the record, now that I'v ebeen using XP for a while, I'm reminded of why I hate Windows so much. This thing is a real joke of an OS. I don't mean to get another OS thread going, but really, c'mon, you've got all the money in the world to create a GUI, and XP is the best you can do? And don't even get me started on all the other quirks that I had forgotten about...

I just installed XP Pro recently and I am having problems already(btw this is on Virtual PC 6):

1. - The IP settings always set to zero whenever I boot up XP (even set 'obtain IP address automatically')

2. - keeps asking me to activate the product eventhough I did it twice already

3 - does not recognize the VPC Additions

why is that happening?

thanks

Back