Virtual Pc 7 Installation Issue

NTXPERT

Registered
Hi there:
i'm running osx 10.4.2 and trying to install virtual pc 7.
i get stuck on the reboot part after the initial setup files install. when it reboots and i try to continue, it gives me a dialog that i have to have administrative privileges to continue, but i have administrative privileges, in fact, i tried with a new user i created with admin. but i got nowhere. so i cant get past the first fase of installation.
any clues?

OK, THIS IS ME REPLYING TO MY OWN POST :-|
I GOT THE SOLUTION, FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM.
SINCE I HAVE SOME UNIX EXPERTISE, I FIGURED I MIGHT AS WELL LOG ON AS "root"
WHICH I DID. AND SOLVED THE PROBLEM.
THE TRICKY PART IS THAT THE ROOT USER AND AN ADMINISTRATIVE ACCOUNT ARE NOT THE SAME THING, ALTHOUGH THE PASSWORD FOR THE ROOT USER IS THE SAME PASSWORD AS THE FIRST USER CREATED WITH ADMIN PRIVILIGES IN OSX.
AM I COUNFUSING? I THOUGHT SO.

I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU'RE SCREAMING, SUDDENLY, BUT IN CASE THERE'S WIND ON YOUR SIDE OF THE INTERNET, I BETTER SCREAM, TOO, OR YOU CAN'T HEAR ME... Oh, you've closed the window, that's better, thank you.

If the installer asks for "administrative privileges", all it actually does is ask for your password. Your user password. As long as your user is an administrator, that's all it asks for. VPC7 certainly doesn't require you to logon as root.

LOOK, IM NOT THAT DUMB YOU KNOW?
I KNOW WHAT ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVILIGES ARE, MY USER HAD ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVILIGES, BUT VIRTUAL PC JUST DID'T INSTALL PAST THE FIRST STAGE. NOT UNTIL I LOG ON WITH THE USERNAME "root" AND MY PASSWORD. GO FIGURE. I TRIED IT A GAZZILLION TIMES WITH MY USERNAME AND PASSWORD, MY USERNAME THAT HAD ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVILIGES, I JUST FIGURED THAT MY INFO WOUJLD BE OF SOME HELP TO SOME OTHER USER THAT NEEDS IT.

Okay. Still no need to shout. :) ... I personally guess that repairing permissions might have solved your problem, too, because I'm very, very sure that VPC doesn't need the root-account to be activated in order to be installed.

belive me, i tried that, in fact, vpc7 has a tool that "fixes" permissions for you, but it didnt work.
anyway, i found a way, meybe the post will help someone

Back