virtual pc internet connection help

andrewsc0

Registered
Hi,
So I'm in hour 10 of not getting this to work, so I came to you all for help. Here it goes.

I'm running an ibook g4 with osx and all current updates for it.
I just installed virtual pc 6 and have gotten all the current updates for it.
On virtual pc, I'm running windows 2000 nt (probably not updated, but...)

I am trying to get the internet on the windows pc to connect through the airport card, you know no wires.

I have networking enabled for for shared networking
I have changed the networking type to shared sockets

I also have tried what has to be every possible combination of the above networking types.

and I believe I have gone through every combination of internet connect options within the pc. This however is where I think the problem may be, but maybe not.

i've tried just about everything i could find on the internet to no avail, any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

andrewsc0 said:
Hi,
So I'm in hour 10 of not getting this to work, so I came to you all for help. Here it goes.

I'm running an ibook g4 with osx and all current updates for it.
I just installed virtual pc 6 and have gotten all the current updates for it.
On virtual pc, I'm running windows 2000 nt (probably not updated, but...)

I am trying to get the internet on the windows pc to connect through the airport card, you know no wires.

I have networking enabled for for shared networking
I have changed the networking type to shared sockets

I also have tried what has to be every possible combination of the above networking types.

and I believe I have gone through every combination of internet connect options within the pc. This however is where I think the problem may be, but maybe not.

i've tried just about everything i could find on the internet to no avail, any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
It seems to me that you are making the classic newbie mistake. You are trying to connect to the Internet through Windows on your Virtual PC. The way to do it is to use the host connection. Basically, your Windows Internet connection will just work if you let the VPC installer do its work.

and how do i do that? If you mean start the program and open explorer, I did that the first time and nothing. If you mean something else, then I could use that to help me.

would somebody please explain to me what MisterMe just said. I really would like to get the internet working through the virtual pc. And i have exhausted my ability in this.

Assuming you have installed the VPC Additions, that interface Virtual PC with your Mac desktop, Virtual PC can "share" the host OS X network and internet connections. No setup in Windows is required.

In the settings for your Virtual PC choose "Networking" and click the "Shared networking" radio button then be sure "Enable Networking" is checked. Finally click on "Okay" and it is done.

That is enabled. Maybe I didn't clarify that in the first post, but it is set for enable networking and still not working.

Back