Virtual PC on osX

chicodoggy

machead since 91
hello,

Im running a G4 sawtooth 400mhz machine with 320 megs of ram. I am wondering if installing Virtual PC and running windows XP is worth while or not. Or would installing win95 run much faster in VPC? What is the best way to run winXP on this G4 through VPC? how much ram to allocate, etc.?

Thanks for the insite.

btw.... i have installed winXP on VPC already with 200 megs of ram allocated to it and it still runs very slow.

Xp is a serious resource hog. I've run 98 in VPC on my G3 and it was usable. 95 was pretty fast. as far as pure speed I would say 95. But for compatablity I'd go to 98.

I have a G4 450 Dual Processor, 512MB RAM and I can't get XP to run in my VPC. It will install (After an hour or two) and then when you boot it runs like frozen molasses. SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW! So I went back to 98 and that even runs kind of crapy too. So I went to windows 3.1 that ran like crap too. So I want to DOS and that ran like crap to. So I just ditched it and got a calculator to add up all the ones an zeros and do it myself which was even slower. Just kidding since about the 3.1 part.:D

I have virtualPC installed on my Pismo 400/10.2 with 384MB RAM. I have tried all of the windows versions except win95 and so far Windows2000 is the best. XP was SOOOO slow it was not even usable. Me and 98 didn't run very well either. YMMV.

I run VPC on a dual 500 with 1.38 Gig of ram and XP ran like crap with 512 meg allocated. Win 2000 runs fine though. VPC seems mostly tuned for Win 2000, based on the last few updates, so I'd say go that route.

thank you for all your feedback. I will try to find me a copy of win 2000 and install on vpc.

thanks again...

I run Win98 in VPC on my Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver, and it runs OK. Too slow for games, though. I imagine it would be quite sluggish on your 400Mhz box.

Back