Virtual PC trying to install Bootcamp on Leopard G5 PPC

stephens03

Registered
Hi everyone,
I've just upgraded my Dual 2.7 G5 to Leopard.
On my first boot up of Virtual PC, it is asking me to install Boot Camp. It was my understanding that Boot Camp only ran on Intel-based Macs, and even then - why is it asking for me to install Boot Camp inside Virtual PC (running XP)??

I'm pretty confused.. anyone have any suggestions as to what's going on?

Thanks,
Steve

Mounting the "drive" (the virtual one) might have triggered BC's nerves. Just ignore?

VM's benefit from running the "Boot Camp Windows XP drivers" cd to enable support for the physical devices to work inside the VM. If your host has them (iSight, Bluetooth, Apple keybaorad, etc.) and you want your VM to use them, you should run the installer from the boot camp burned cd. The drivers are not boot-camp specific - they work when running VM's inside of VMware and Parallels, so I they should also work properly within VPC. As always, backup your VM prior to installing :)
Vince

Hmm.. that's odd.
Vince, as he is on a G5 he won't be able to run neither Fusion nor Parallels as those require an Intel Mac.
Maybe VPC triggered it then...

Hi guys,
I think VPC definitely did trigger it, I'm just not sure how VPC even now has Boot Camp on it considering I got it over 2 years ago..! Just really odd - I'm going to ignore it rather than installing and "seeing what happens.."

Thanks,
Steve

Hi - I think I have a variant of this problem? Months ago, I installed Leopard (now up to 10.5.2) over Tiger. Never reinstalled VPC 7 - it runs previously installed apps just fine. But I just found it can no longer read Windows (XP) installation DVDs/CDs. And it is NOT asking me to install Boot Camp (I never have).

Any suggestions/workarounds? Thanks. TJ

Virtual PC running in Leopard does not recognise CDs or DVds and you get the error message that the disc is unreadable.
A workround of this is as follows [thanks to Brent R]

Insert cd/dvd
Open Disk Utility
Click on the volume that mounts
Go to File->New->Disk Image from disk....(volume)
After you click on File->New Image and are presented with the dialog box asking you where to save it. Make sure you select DVD/CD Master as the "Image Format". And make sure Encryption is set to None.
Save it to your desktop, or anywhere really.
You'll have a file on your desktop called volume.cdr (where volume is the name of the disk)
drag that image to your CD icon on the bottom of your virtual window
It should mount properly in windows

Back