Virtual PC usability?

Ripcord

Senior Lurker
I think I've just about convinced my boss to purchase G5 workstations for a group of us at work.

I've mentioned in other threads that many of the apps (most of the most important ones) are cross-platform and run VERY well on OS X, but we will have need, periodically, to run some Windows-only apps. This isn't going to be avoidable.

I'm a little uncomfortable at the thought of the usability of Windows 98 or 2000 under Virtual PC 6. It's not so much stability and interoperability I'm worried about, but SPEED.

My only real experience is using VPC 6 on my 533mhz G4, and on my P4 1.6ghz laptop.

On the G4, Windows 98 is pretty much UNUSABLE. The Virtual system is provided 128MB of RAM, but it takes about 2 seconds just to pop up the Start bar, about 10 seconds to launch Solitaire, not to mention launching, say, office. It feels about the speed of a 133mhz PC with a really slow disk and memory. Just not usable for any sort of real work.

On the P4, it's much more usable, perhaps about the speed of a 500mhz PC. Still too slow for real work (in this case, the primary concern is running some Sniffer software and some legacy apps)

I know a 2.0ghz G5 is going to be quite a bit faster than both, but even, say, 6x faster than what I've experienced with the G4 would be too slow. And I know the G5 is a much faster processor overall than the P4, but the hardware emulation is more expensive on the PPC platform than on the Intel platform.

Anyone have any experience with VPC 6 on faster machines? If I can squeeze out the power of, say, a 1Ghz PIII, on a 2.0Ghz G5, then I think things will work out okay.

I suppose we'll know more when people start receiving the G5s...

Rip

I would just like to comment... on my PowerBook G4 500Mhz, Virtual PC 5 with Windows 98 is actually usable.... but that's only when you allocate more like 300MB of RAM to it.

Originally posted by fuzz
what application or type of application do you need to be running that is windows only?

It really shouldn't matter for purposes of this discussion, but Network Associates' Sniffer Pro is one of them. We also use Ethereal quite heavily (which IS ported to Mac OSX), but have need to at least periodically be able to use Sniffer Pro. It is not an option NOT to run Sniffer (and instead run Etherpeek for Mac, for example, which is a horrible piece of software)

Rip

Originally posted by Ripcord
I think I've just about convinced my boss to purchase G5 workstations for a group of us at work.

I've mentioned in other threads that many of the apps (most of the most important ones) are cross-platform and run VERY well on OS X, but we will have need, periodically, to run some Windows-only apps.
Get a boatload of RAM and the fastest CPU you can...

Unfortunately VirtualPC only lets you assign .5GB of RAM to te PC...

Who knows, maybe the new M$ version will be a bit better... (Yeah I know, and the Devil will start giving out free passes to heaven. I can dream :))

Basically, try VPC out and see if it fits your needs. If it doesn't, unload it and use the money to buy a cheap PC. You should be able to get a PC with the same Ghz as your G5 for a very reasonable price.

Virtual PC should be great on the G5. The main bottleneck for VPC on existing Mac hardware is the memory bandwidth, and on the G5 the bandwidth is amazing.

VPC on a G5 runs Windows better than Intel hardware!

Hey, it could happen...

I have given up using VPC on my 500MHZ TiBook.

BUT, on a new 1.25GHZ G4 or a DP G4 it runs very well for me. However, this is mainly limited to using Microsoft Money.

But, a faster processor really does make a big big diffenerence. On my 1.25GHZ machine, it is plenty fast enough. There are no delays on desktop actions etc.

I use VPC 6 on a TiBook 667 in X 10.2.6 and 9.2.2

1. It works quicker in OS 9 than X
2. Allocate as much RAM as possible to the VPC - the more the merrier.
3. Shutdown any background services not required in the Windoze environment (especially in Win 2000).
4. Win 98 is a dog. Win 2000 is a bigger dog. Install XP (and only the core services required to make it work) - that is significantly quicker
5. Reduce the video depth of the Windoze environment to 256 colours.
6. The ultimate, close down Mac programs not required RIGHT NOW, max the RAM on the PC and you'll find it is better.

I would describe VPC as a good-enuff-to-get-you-by kind of thing. I have used it for some PC-only apps that weren't too demanding and found it to be pretty pleasant actually (DP 1 gig, original model and DP 867 mirror). With XP, there is a very impressive full screen mode and drag and drop file transfer (between OS X and WinXP) that is way cool.

I'd bet on a G5, WinXP for non-demanding applications could approach being a pleasant experience.

Plus, THIS IS HUGE. The option for all virtual machines is to save "as is" without "shutting down" the virtual machine. You're up and running again in a couple of seconds. I find this amazing.

You can drag and drop between VPC and OS X at any Windows installation and not just XP... You have to only install VPC extensions first!

I like the feature of being able to mount on the OS X desktop the FAT 16/32 drives of VPC...

For maximum XP performance Connectix/M$ have details on their site. Still, I think that the performance of VPC under G5 it will be ok but until M$ will update the VPC code... hmmm... :rolleyes:

Um, VPC 3 on my iMac has fullscreen (with Windows 95). It's been around for a while.

I think Apple should add a feature to save your current Classic environment, so you can load it as it was when you shut it off. That would save so much time waiting for it to emulate booting!

Originally posted by arden
Um, VPC 3 on my iMac has fullscreen (with Windows 95). It's been around for a while.

I think Apple should add a feature to save your current Classic environment, so you can load it as it was when you shut it off. That would save so much time waiting for it to emulate booting!
1) Launch Classic
2) Put your Mac to sleep instead of shutting down
3) Classic stays loaded when you wake up...

Originally posted by TommyWillB
1) Launch Classic
2) Put your Mac to sleep instead of shutting down
3) Classic stays loaded when you wake up...
1) I use OS 9 due to various issues with my computer and OS X, mostly because my Classic environment has a hole in it.
2) I usually do. Lately I've been letting it power down the screen and HD because if it sleeps, OpenGL games will freeze.
3) Yes, all programs do. That's the magic of a sleeping Mac. But there are times that you have to restart the computer, whether it be after installing software or because of unusual national blackouts. Being able to save the state of your Classic environment, as you can with VPC, would be quite a timesaver.

The previous posts include lots of very helpful information. The only thing I can add is to use Windows 2000 Professional rather than anything earlier. It's the first really stable version of Windows and, under VPC on my Dual-867 G4, is usable for things that are not processor intensive (Access, Visual Basic are okay). Anything involving digital video or that requires a hefty video card will simply not work.

Back