Virtual PC & windows xp

sverbus

Registered
Hello all, I currently work where we have about 200 seats and we use ldap domain authentication for keeping everyone on a roaming profile.

I use a generic image with netboot for the agents, but for Supervisors and QA agents, Im building an image with Office for MAC and Virtual PC with Windows XP.

I set up the office and VPC w/winxp while logged in as root. Fresh install. I installed the VPC application in the normal way with the built in installer.

But the windows install for the winxp I put in:

/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/library/Virtual PC/**windows xp image**

It fires up fine, is all updated and everythin works great while logged in as root, but when I log into my profile with my userid/password the VPC app. fires up fine, but won't fire up the windows xp image.

It see's it, but won't open it. It doesnt kick back an error of any kind, it just sits there as if i didnt try and open a windows instance at all.

If i go back and log into the machine as root, it opens up the windows image just fine.

One more thing, when you open up the VPC app. when logged into the profile, it prompts me to install a windows xp image like I had never done it at all.

Very confused as to what is causing this, can anyone of you shed some light on this please???

Thanks much for any and all help!

Scott Verbus

sverbus said:
Hello all, I currently work where we have about 200 seats and we use ldap domain authentication for keeping everyone on a roaming profile.

I use a generic image with netboot for the agents, but for Supervisors and QA agents, Im building an image with Office for MAC and Virtual PC with Windows XP.

I set up the office and VPC w/winxp while logged in as root. Fresh install. I installed the VPC application in the normal way with the built in installer.

But the windows install for the winxp I put in:

/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/library/Virtual PC/**windows xp image**

It fires up fine, is all updated and everythin works great while logged in as root, but when I log into my profile with my userid/password the VPC app. fires up fine, but won't fire up the windows xp image.

It see's it, but won't open it. It doesnt kick back an error of any kind, it just sits there as if i didnt try and open a windows instance at all.

If i go back and log into the machine as root, it opens up the windows image just fine.

One more thing, when you open up the VPC app. when logged into the profile, it prompts me to install a windows xp image like I had never done it at all.

Very confused as to what is causing this, can anyone of you shed some light on this please???

Thanks much for any and all help!

Scott Verbus

Have you set the permissions so that the VPC disk file is available to other users? I would imagine that you need at leat read and write access to it.

Back