Virtualization for the PowerPC dinosaur....?

sredish

Registered
Is Virtual PC still the "only" solution for the PowerPC era macs? I'm trying to install Quickbooks into my VPC7 and it's giving me the "error report" and won't let me..... Always something with VPC. Was checking out VMWare but it looks to be Intel only, same as Parallel.

"Q" is an open source emulator like Virtual PC. It is probably just as slow though so don't expect it to be super speedy like a stock PC.

http://www.kju-app.org/kju/

I've used it and it works with x86 operating systems. "Q" can also emulate other hardware like PowerPC and other hardware platforms.

My experience with Q was that it was much slower than VPC and VPC isn't a speed demon to begin with, as you already know.

I'm trying to install Quickbooks into my VPC7 and it's giving me the "error report" and won't let me..... Always something with VPC.
Or is it something with Windows? It's not like people don't have problems on actual PCs, of course! It could be that it has nothing to do with VPC.

Anyway, VPC is certainly the best emulator available, although if it's really an issue of the emulator's compatibility, you may want to try QEmu or GuestPC. They're slower, but they might not share VPC's incompatibilities.

Parallels and VMWare are not emulators, but merely virtualizers. All they do is run x86 code natively on x86 processors. This is much easier (and faster) than emulation, which translates every instruction from one architecture (e.g., x86) to another (e.g., PPC).

So there will never be virtualizers like Parallels or VMWare to let you run Windows on a PPC Mac at the same speed as you can on x86 Macs. Similarly, when you use SheepShaver on PPC Macs, it can run OS 9 at native speed, but if you run it on x86-based Macs, it needs to use slow emulation.

Is Virtual PC still the "only" solution for the PowerPC era macs? I'm trying to install Quickbooks into my VPC7 and it's giving me the "error report" and won't let me..... Always something with VPC. Was checking out VMWare but it looks to be Intel only, same as Parallel.
Your description of your "problem" is cryptic, at best. If someone here wants to help you, they should not be forced to guess about the basics of your problem. VPC has been reported to have issues with certain peripherals, but not application software. Exactly what does the "error report" say?

Back