VirtualPC and G5

nervus

fencer
Hi

While installing documents and some apps on my brandnew 2G5 I noticed that VirtualPC (version 6.1) will not run on it. On the website of the new owner of VPC (Microsoft) :eek: there is nothing to find about a workaround or something. :( :mad:
VPC is used by me for a program that is only available under Windoze ("Engarde").
Any ideas?

Greetings
nervus

Microsoft has said that they are not going to address this issue until version 7 at the earliest. There is also some question as to whether or not it'll be offered as a stand alone product any more (it may only be part of an Office bundle in the future).

For now, you might consider one of the other emulators (just don't expect the same features as VPC6.x).

VPC makes heavy use of "little endian" memory addressing (Intel processors use little endian natively, the G3 and G4 allowed you to switch to little endian temporarily).

The G5 processor does not offer this capability, so it won't run VPC 6.x or earlier. They're clearly going to have to redesign the memory access from the ground up... :eek:

Back