VirtualPC and Tiger

minasi

Registered
Guys,

After the update to Tiger my VPC 7.01 alwas show the following message:

"Virtual Switch networking could not be started.
Permissions for the support files were set correctly, but Virtual Switch failed to load. Virtual PC for Mac will run sithout Virtual Switch networking."

So... I reinstall the MacOs 10.4 and nothing seens to solve.
O reinstall the VirtualPC. When I restarted my mac it shows a msg saying some files in startup itens folders seens to be setted permissions wrong and suggest te problem to be fix. But doesnt solve the VPC prob.

Any tip??

Power Mac G4 733 MHz 1 GB RAM.

thanks

You have to wait for an update from microsoft. That virtual switch handles the networking for VPC. You should be able to use the shared IP instead to get networking to work but I'm not sure if it'll make that message go away.

VPC will still work however, but just networking might not work.

minasi said:
Guys,

After the update to Tiger my VPC 7.01 alwas show the following message:

"Virtual Switch networking could not be started.
Permissions for the support files were set correctly, but Virtual Switch failed to load. Virtual PC for Mac will run sithout Virtual Switch networking."

So... I reinstall the MacOs 10.4 and nothing seens to solve.
O reinstall the VirtualPC. When I restarted my mac it shows a msg saying some files in startup itens folders seens to be setted permissions wrong and suggest te problem to be fix. But doesnt solve the VPC prob.

Any tip??

Power Mac G4 733 MHz 1 GB RAM.

thanks
This is a known issue with VPC 7 on MacOS X 10.4. Microsoft promises to have a fix when it gets around to it. However, the worse thing about the problem is reading the error message. Your networking will work just fine if you choose "Shared Networking." For reasons only Microsoft can explain--but hasn't--you get the error message even if you choose "Shared Networking" instead of "Virtual Switch." In conclusion, you should have no trouble accessing the Internet via "Shared Networking" while you wait with bated breath for Microsoft to release a patch to free you from that darned error message.

It is not recomended to downgrade os x in any version (I learned it from apple web site). http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106692#Downgrade

You should not reinstall an earlier version of the same software over a later version. These "downgrade" installs may seem to work, but Apple does not test nor recommend downgrade installations in most cases. Some installers prevent downgrade installations. If you need to reinstall an earlier version of Mac OS X, erase your disk first or choose the erase option in the Mac OS X Installer. Be sure to reinstall any software updates after reinstalling the operating system.

The most painful will be to restore system 10.4 by starting up from external hd, erase g4 hd, reinstall 10.4 then VPC and back to where you were. that is how I see it.... good luck.

I am new to the Mac world, I just purchased my first Mac last week; Powerbook G4 with Tiger pre-loaded. I want to install Virtual PC with Windows XP Home so I can run some of my Windows based programs. Since I am not networking my Mac should I be okay to run Virtual PC?

VirtualPC 7 is not fully functional as of yet in Tiger. I'd say you should wait until Microsoft brings out a patch for VirtualPC to make it work in Tiger.

If you're online with that Mac, ljramsey, you _are_ networking. Just follow the suggestion above: Use "Shared Networking" in VPC's prefs and you should be fine. An updater by Microsoft solving the problem would be nice, but you can use it right now and it should work just fine.

ljramsey said:
I am new to the Mac world, I just purchased my first Mac last week; Powerbook G4 with Tiger pre-loaded. I want to install Virtual PC with Windows XP Home so I can run some of my Windows based programs. Since I am not networking my Mac should I be okay to run Virtual PC?
The correct answer is that VPC 7 works fine in Tiger. There is the issue of the Virtual Switch, but it does not prevent you from networking your emulated installation of Windows. Since you don't want to network your Windows environment, the Virtual Switch issue is a non-issue with you.

Back