http://www.videolan.org

* VLC 0.5.2 : This new version of VLC media player includes:

- improved audio quality, especially under Mac OS X (new resampler),

- support for new audio formats (audio DV and FLAC),

- support for streaming of DivX 1/2/3, WMV 1/2 and h/i263 with VLC's
stream output,

- support for multi-channel audio, S/PDIF, and localization
under Windows,

- many bug fixes (including the lock-ups under Mac OS X).

Binary packages are already available for the following platforms:
- Windows,
- Mac OS X,
- Debian GNU/Linux,
- BeOS,
- Familiar Linux,
- Yopy/Linupy.

RPM packages for Mandrake and RedHat are not available yet; if someone
volunteers to work on this issue, he would be more than welcomed!

The full details about the new features and bug fixes are available on:

http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/NEWS

For those interested
Nico

I was watching a movie in it last night and although I liked it I wish I could get the movie to work in quicktime. I don't have a particularly fast computer, and to get the movie to play without dropping the sound completely I needed to quit all the other applications except for safari (I normally have 5 or 6 open) and try not to put any windows in front of the movie. It seemed a little picky, but mabye I should just get a new computer?

nah, just get more RAM. vlc runs great on my girlfriend's G3 600 with 768 RAM.

haha, screen grab from watching a movie...
with 256 mb ram vlc takes an insane amout of computer. Is there any way to reduce the frame rate? I can get pictures to play well in b+w otherwise my iMac can't keep up very well. It works for lower quality movies but not all of em. Anyone had this problem?

Attachments

• picture 1.pdf
    113 bytes · Views: 47
sorry image won't come through, here it is again.

wow, what a good image :b I should learn how to make those better.

Attachments

• load.jpg
    load.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 71
Originally posted by toast
I very recently discovered MPlayer OSX, the Mac distribution of Movie Player for Linux.
Extremely powerful, light, speedy. One of the best SourceForge projects I ever downloaded.

MPlayer OSX is just a frontend to the mplayer binary. I recommend compiling mplayer from CVS and using GUI. The version distributed with MPlayer OSX is always going to be old compared to CVS. Personally, I'd rather use mplayer from the shell but I know a lot of people enjoy using GUI programs.

is it normal that i can't start up VLC? I've tried to run it on 2 computers (iMac 1Ghz and iMac 700Mhz G3) and it both didn't launch VLC..

still drops sound from time to time.... but a huge improvement in a lot of areas. i just hope that eventually, vlc doesn't need about every ounce of power my pc can dish out to play movies well.

but, it's unmatched in the types of files it can play.

:)

This new vesion rox it plays divx,xvid,mpeg2 all formats . Its much stabler than previews versions.
vlc_pic.jpg

"12380 VLC 10.3% 17:23.61 11 148 576 21.9M 14.7M 28.4M 94.7M"
thats top usage of vlc... god its a processor/memory hog... I really need to upgrade my ram to watch videos from it.

UNrelated question: If I do command - f to get fullscreen video mode, whats the keystroke to get back to half-screen mode? I can't figure it out. thanks.

I use VLC and think it is great because it does open virtually anything. I do have one question about VLC...

Does anyone know if there is a browser plugin for VLC?
I'd love to be able to watch embedded avi files from Safari or Camino (I use one at home and the other at work).

Originally posted by mr. K
"12380 VLC 10.3% 17:23.61 11 148 576 21.9M 14.7M 28.4M 94.7M"
thats top usage of vlc... god its a processor/memory hog... I really need to upgrade my ram to watch videos from it.

UNrelated question: If I do command - f to get fullscreen video mode, whats the keystroke to get back to half-screen mode? I can't figure it out. thanks.

command-f ? I just use f to go back and forth between screen modes.

Back