VLC Hailed as Region Free Solution?

Porce

Registered
The VLC software appears to be what everyone recommends to watch DVDs from another region, but it does not work for me (or any other likeminded players). It simply does nothing when prompted to open the disc, or gives the error "dvdread: read failed for -1/4 blocks at 0xf1c". I am getting quite irritated as I used to live in the US and have a Region 1 drive with about 50-60% of my DVDs from that region, but now live in Australia and cannot play my new DVDs on my computer without making a region free copy of them on my PC using DVD Shrink. The problem being that I won't have that PC for much longer and this is becoming a tiresome process because some new DVDs have particularly annoying copy protection and I shouldn't have to go through all this trouble to watch my legally purchased DVDs to begin with.

What can I do to watch Region 4 DVDs on my iBook G4? Does anyone else have problems with VLC?

The VLC solution doesn't seem to work on all intel Macs. Now, it seems like your iBook _should_ be able to still do that, unless maybe it's a version newer than I had experience with...
I guess one relatively cheap (and useful!) solution would be to get an external FW DVD-RW drive. You can set that drive to Region 4 and use HandBrake to rip the movies to your harddrive before watching them. Or directly watch the DVDs with the external drive connected.

Back