VM fusion 4.1 slow screen switching

nealt

Registered
It takes forever for the this version to switch from single window to Unity or vise versa or to launch an application compared to the previous version. Mac Pro with 10 gig memory, OS 10.6.8. Is there a solution for this?

I posted this on fusion's web site and never got a response.

Did you uninstall the old VMware Tools and upgrade them to the current version in each virtual machine? (Requires a reboot of the virtual machine after the uninstall of the tools, and a second one after the install of the tools)

If you did that and it still occurs, anything interesting in Fusion's or the VM's logs while it's slow?

I tried deleting and reinstalling VMtools. That does seem to fix the problem. This should be part of the updater.
Thanks

Is there anything interesting generating in Fusion's (or the virtual machine's) logs while you do the switching? The logs should show what's happening.
Also is the switching as slow immediately after you're restarted your Mac, or does it get slower over time? Is it slow for all apps or all OS (if you have multiple VMs)?

I followed Giaguara's suggestion. You must uninstall VM tools and reinstall them when upgrading. It seems to me that VM's installer should handle that. Any everything is running fine now.
Thanks

Ah - perfect. :) glad it's working again.

Yes, there's usually the recommendation for upgrading the VMware Tools for the guest, but it's hard to make it happen automatically since some of the VMs are in different states (suspended, shut down etc), and - well, it'd kind of be possible for suggesting a Windows VM to do the install but with some other VMs it'd be still needed to be done manually (like any Linux system). So after a while of using the different virtual machines in different systems, it just comes to be a thing to do automatically. And if there are any odd issues after upgrading to a new version of the virtualization software, it doesn't hurt to just in case restart the host system once more, and then to remove the current VM tools, restart the guest, install the new tools, restart the guest once more, and then to try again. (And that would be valid for any virtualization software on any OS by the way)

Back