VMWare

dizzyskyler

Registered
hmm....heres a good question......can i run VMWare on MACOSX?
i have been hesitant to move over to it because of this...does darwin support it? the specs for reqs for vmware are as follows:

Standard Linux distributions with glibc version 2 or higher and one of the following:

For single-processor systems: kernel 2.0.32 or higher kernel in the 2.0.x series, or kernel in the 2.2.x series
For SMP systems: kernel in the 2.2.x series

Workstation may not run on systems that do not meet these requirements.

Workstation has been tested and is officially supported on the following host operating systems

Red Hat Linux 5.x, 6.0, 6.1, and 6.2
Caldera OpenLinux 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4
SuSE Linux 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, and 6.4
TurboLinux 6.0

Workstation may run on other Linux distributions; attempting to do so is recommended for expert Linux users only.

Workstation requires an X server

XFree86-3.3.3.1 or higher release
XFree86 version 3.3.4 or higher server recommended

You need to think of teh hardware too not just that "os x is unix".

Macs dont have intel inside lol :p..so I guess the answer is no.

vmware does not need intel inside.....
does it fulfill the reqs listed? i cant find any in depth docs on mac os x, at least no tech manuals on darwin...

Originally posted by dizzyskyler
vmware does not need intel inside.....
does it fulfill the reqs listed? i cant find any in depth docs on mac os x, at least no tech manuals on darwin...

It doesn't need Intel, but it does need an x86 compatible CPU. VMware is a proprietary product that only ships in binary form. It will not run under OSX. OTOH, now that BOCHS is GPLed, you could theoretically port it to run under X on OSX.

Just to confirm what sveijk said, if it's compiled for x86 it will not run on your machine unless you have some sort of emulator.

Maybe VNC or Citrix can solve your problem?

Good luck,
Vanguard

Bochs is more what you're looking for, or wait for the MacOSX port of Virtual PC, which will be a lot faster than Bochs. There is a Carbonized port of Bochs that supports OS X, but from what I've heard, the speed isn't too great. That is a general Bochs thing, not just a problem with the Carbon port.

Where can I find this carbonized BOCHS? I didn't see anything on the MacBOCHS home page or sourceforge. Googling failed.

And though I've been able to compile bochs on Mac OS X--sort of--I haven't been able to get it to run...

-Rob

Back