VNC clients/servers questions...

gerbick

poptart villain
has anybody successfully set up a VNC service on a Win2k machine, and connected over from a MacOS X machine, and have it work? if so, what programs/products did you use?

I'm REAL curious about this method, but so far, my research has lead me to a point where I'm just confused.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

It`s really easy. Just go to http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/ and download the VNC package for Windows. It`s a straight-forward install, and there is enough information on the page to get you started.

Then you just need to get a VNC client for MacOS X. I can recommend VNCthing which I use all the time with great success.

Good luck!

hey, thanks guys for the info.

however... is it THIS SLOW ALWAYS!? terminal services via win2k is not that slow :(

In my usage experience, I find VNC to be faster than PCAnywhere, you just have to have it tweaked. Turn off desktop background on the server, turn colors down to 256 on the server (I also turn the resolution down too, usually), bump compression up a couple notches on the client. Also, experiment with the different encoding methods to see which one works best for your bandwidth situation. On the server, only check "Poll Foreground window", and "Poll window under cursor". For the actual server app, try using TridiaVNC instead of the stock Att one.

Back