VNC Mac --> Win

Chris Belwinds

Registered
I use VNC (Chicken of the VNC and WinVNC) and I am trying to connect to a PC with Win XP Home from my G5 Mac OS X 10.3.1 machine. A black window opens but then I receive an error message:

"Terminate Connection
ZlibHex unknown subencoding 92 encountered"

Has anyone got an odea what it means and what I nedd to do?

You might be better off using Microsofts RDC client. Windows XP has a built in client where a remote user can login using an RDC client, and Microsoft makes an OS X RDC client.

Brian

btoneill said:
You might be better off using Microsofts RDC client. Windows XP has a built in client where a remote user can login using an RDC client, and Microsoft makes an OS X RDC client.

Brian
True, but then I would need XP Pro or 2003 Server (and I only have XP Home).

But turning off ZRLE encoding did it for me. Thanks a lot!!!!!

Remote Desktop Client is available in XP Home, but the only difference between Home and Pro is that you can set Pro to act as a server, but Home doesn't have this ability.

VNC I think is a better option because it doesn't create a separate remote session (which becomes a problem if you are installing software remotely to the PC...I speak from experience ::ha::). With VNC, you take control of the actual desktop, allowing you to see the mouse being moved and everything else that you see in the VNC session window. (That is, unless you have set the server to work in a different display other than 0, such as "foobar.localhost:1".)

Am I doing something wrong, or does a VNC connection between OS X and a Win machine Suck? I have dsl at home, a T3 at work, and When I can get vnc to work (Share my desktop or OSXVNC on the Mac - server - side) the remote screen is blurry and slow. A co-worker uses vnc to connect his NT to his XP machine at home and I can barley a notice difference. This Really sucks. What's more, he can vnc viaa browser. I enter my IP and port (vnc) and get a Page Can Not be Found.

Somebody, Please enlighten me.

Thanks and my gratitudes.

Well, a friend of mine and I did this a couple years ago. Me and my Mac on my Univeristy's T1 line in California, she on her PC on her university's T3 line in Pennsylvania. Here's the kicker: using her PC 3000 miles away was faster than using Virtual PC. lol. Anyway, it is definitely more than possible. Can't say I know what the blurring means, though. I'd definitely try a different combination of VNC apps on both computers. Some VNC apps are better than others, and it really shows.

The OSXvnc server seems to use a lot more bandwidth than the PC server. I have found that doing PC at work to PC is fast, PC at work to Mac is slow, PC at work to PC to Mac where PC2 and the Mac are on the same LAN is faster than just connecting to the Mac directly over the internet.

This is why I think that the Mac one uses more bandwidth because over the LAN it's quite fast.

I have been using the VNC 4.0 beta on the PC which seems faster than the non-beta PC version so hopfully the guys that wrote the OSXvnc software can update it to the newer protocol and make it faster.

PoEzra said:
Am I doing something wrong, or does a VNC connection between OS X and a Win machine Suck? I have dsl at home, a T3 at work, and When I can get vnc to work (Share my desktop or OSXVNC on the Mac - server - side) the remote screen is blurry and slow. A co-worker uses vnc to connect his NT to his XP machine at home and I can barley a notice difference. This Really sucks. What's more, he can vnc viaa browser. I enter my IP and port (vnc) and get a Page Can Not be Found.

Somebody, Please enlighten me.

Thanks and my gratitudes.

Sounds like you have plenty of bandwidth to go around, so you're probably more limited by CPU/video speed. VNC is pretty hardware intensive and once you reach the threshold of having enough bandwidth to do things, the CPU becomes the bottleneck. Some tips to increase speed - make sure you set your VNC client, the local machine, and the serving computer to all use the same video bit depth. That takes a lot of color conversion out of the picture and will speed things up a bit. (You may think setting your VNC client to 8-bit will speed things up because it uses less bandwidth, but if you have to convert 24 bit -> 8 bit -> 24 bit again theres lots of processing going on.) Also if you're using a "tight" compliant VNC client try turning off the compression - it speeds things up for low bandwidth, but uses way more CPU as well - so if you have the bandwidth and not the CPU power you might be better off not compressing the data. You might want to try playing around with the different encoding methods, they vary in CPU and bandwidth usage, and you can probably strike a nice balance. As for the java thing not working, OSXVnc server doesn't support it yet... you're not doing anything wrong.

I have VNC on my office mac and PC installed (the machines that I user).
I use my powerbook with VNCThing to access them remotely.

I also have RDC on my mac to use the other department PCs in my office from my desk (in order to troubleshoot). Is there a way to make RDC and VNC to have an "Observe" mode like the Apple Remote Desktop admin application?

AdmiralAK said:
I have VNC on my office mac and PC installed (the machines that I user).
I use my powerbook with VNCThing to access them remotely.

I also have RDC on my mac to use the other department PCs in my office from my desk (in order to troubleshoot). Is there a way to make RDC and VNC to have an "Observe" mode like the Apple Remote Desktop admin application?
You definitely can't do it with RDC, but with VNC there is a way to disable input on the client (meaning your keyboard & mouse movements aren't sent to the server) which is effectively an observe mode. I know the Windows clients have a checkbox to disable the input but I'm not sure off hand which (if any) of the OS X clients support it... but it doesn't depend on the server side at all, so if you find a client with the option you could connect to a server on any OS and observe. If you're trying to spy on somebody they might notice some slowdown though ;)

Back