Voice over IP Mac OS X Software

fryke

Staff member
Mod
I remember that I used Maven back in 1996 on System 7.5. Is there a good Mac2Mac or Mac2whatever *free* voice software that connects you to a specific host (even if you have to know the IP) for Mac OS X? The Maven project was very old even then, so I don't believe there's a port to Carbon. Any ideas on what to use?

Haxial NetFone. It's not only OS X to OS X, it's also out for OS 9 and Windows, so you can talk to most anyone. You can even organize a meeting and talk to 5 of your friends at the same time.....

www.haxial.com

Good softwear but does it have to be to a ip add most ppl dont want to give me it and think i am ganna do something stupid with it. There is no mac2phone software?

I actually made a similar post over macnn.com. Netphone is the only app I know of that works with OS X. There was for a short time a program from dialpad.com which allowed you to make mac to phone calls, however this capability has sice been removed (You have to pay!). I was researching this very subject and although I have to find a good replacement, I did stuble across some interesting information. Creative has this little VoIP box which is basically an outboard usb DSP prcessor which allows you to plug in a normal phone and place calls over the internet using VoIP. there is no OSX software from creative, however there are open source drivers for FreeBSD available at fobbit.com. Since OSX is based on FreeBSD it may be possible to compile these drivers on OSX. NOw I am no software engineer so my post on Macnn basically asked if what I was proposing were possible and if they could help . I haven't got an answer so I don't know what else to say. At 15 bucks a piece these things are cheap and you can use a normal phone, so i am eager to find out if this could work.

Yeah, I use NetFone. Works real good as long as you don't have lamers on the other end, although it does tend to get laggy. Also, TeamSpeak will have an OS X client out soon. You can keep an eye on their site at www.teamspeak.org.

ERICBRIAN: Just so your friends/whatever know you can't do crap with just someones IP. You need a trojan in there first AND they have to know an open port.

Back