Volume Permissions Problem

wraith

Rock Dork
I had a hard drive in an enclosure connected to my Airport Extreme, and therefore shared on my network. I recently moved the hd in a G4 PowerMac as its second drive, but it doesn't appear as a mounted drive under the admin user account. I can see the drive is mounted in Disk Utility, but when I attempt to do a "cd /Volume/<whatever>" in the terminal it says I don't have permissions to view the volume. (If I attempt it as root it works.) What's happening is that the volume, and all it's folders are owned by "user1" and I'm attempting to access that volume in a new machine as "user2." Attempting to "chown -r /Volumes/<whatever>" as root doesn't do anything. (The ownership doesn't change.) Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks!

What is the exact command used for

"chown -r /Volumes/<whatever>"

Also remeber that -r can be interpreted different from -r (it can be case sensitive.

I do not see to which user / group the volume should be changed too in your command.

Good luck, Kees

Sorry, I left some stuff out. The exact command I ran was :

"chown -R <username> /Volumes/<whatever>"

Sorry, I left some stuff out. The exact command I ran was :

"chown -R <username> /Volumes/<whatever>"

What username and also add the group. Also try to leave <whatever> away. For username try the mac administrator and also its group.

Also you can try to copy al stuff to another disk in terminal (as root) and reformat the drive and copy it back.

Good luck, Kees

Back