VPC 2001 Wishlist!

fisgeggs

Registered
What do you pople out there want to see in Virtual PC 2001? Thing like speed, being rootless (like classic), you know, things like that....

Well, go on, tell me!

Besided wanting an OS X version, I would love to see additional video chip sets emulated. Of all of the operating systems in my collection, the only i386 OS I can't run is Be!

Also I would like to see the different environments stay active as you move from one to the other, and all of them to be able to see each other on the network. I can just image setting up a virtual network with an NT4 Server, NT4 Workstation and 2000 Pro all inside of my Mac (I can run them all now, but they are paused when you are using the other environments)! That would stop most PC users in their tracks to see something like that! Actually that was the only reason I upgraded to 4, 3 was fine, but I thought you could run multiple environments at once (all actually running) in 4.

The weird thing with BeOS is this...
Under VPC 3 and Windows 98 it did run (in black & white but anyhow)... now in VPC4 it doesnt run period, but with windows ME the launcher for beOS (the item on the windows desktop that launches the OS) doesnt work because it DOS driven!

I wonder if BeOS pro (which comes on a bootable CD) would solve this ... I've been trying to find a copy but stores dont have it lol.. I;ve looked @ several stores :p

* Accelerated OpenGL

• Faster Disk I/O

* If rootless is implemented, ABSOLUTELY NO AQUA FACADE!

* More scripting. Perhaps OSA interfaces for apps with VBscriptability

I don't know about the rootless idea for VPC, for X-Windows it is needed, but I run a ton of different OSs on VPC, how could you implement it on all of them (like OS/2 Warp, OPENSTEP, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 3.1[if anyone still uses it], etc.) Wouldn't they need to modify the OS under emulation to get it?

I dont like the rootless part, I would like to modify the OSs that I use, creates real life probs that one has to fix, or creates the ability to change settings if necessary to run certain programs.

What I would like to see is some sort of graphics card support so that all the graphics are done by the card thats in my computer an not my processor. Things woulg be going SO MUCH faster with graphics acceleration.

Another thing would be more accurate hardware "depiction". I've tried to load some OSs on VPC that would not install because VPC did something with it's memory, also dont be so picky about floppy images!

How about VPC 2001 way before 2002, that's on the top of my wish list!

Speed where ever possible (I/O, Video)

A way of having Virtual drives that could be in a stored form (small as possible file size) and expanded for operation in a decent amount of time for use. The auto expand feature was a great start, allowing me to create a VPC drive that has very little free space and there for less chunk taken from my real drive, but even then, having lots of different VPC drives with different OS's can take away some space. To add to the Auto Expand, could there be a VPC "Drive Storage" mode ?

Originally posted by RacerX
Also I would like to see the different environments stay active as you move from one to the other...That would stop most PC users in their tracks to see something like that!
I really wish I could think of what it is, but there is a PC solution that does just that. I've seen one PC laptop running NT 4.x plus two additional virtual systems (Linux and Win98).

This guy was demmoing a server product which he ran under Linux (talking to SQL running on his NT), a client peice on Win NT, and another client on Win98. Also what is really cool is that he had Samba running under Linux, and both the WinNT and Win98 environments had mapped drive letters.

I'm not sure what was more impressive, the fact that he had 3 systems running at once, or that he had a PC laptop powerfull enough to pull it off.

and it is not an emulator, but more akin to old 360+ VM systems where the whole machine is virtualized by trapping the privileged hardware access. This is difficult to do on x86, because not all accesses are trapped by the hardware; VMware is a great accomplishment, and really helps when you need to edit a Visio slide on a FreeBSD laptop :)

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I was not refereing to VMWare

here:
http://preview.connectix.com/

C 4 ur own i 's

Admiral

connectix, VMware, BochsNG(it has a different name), you name it, all of them are the same thing. IIRC, IBM came up with the first 386 virtualizer (OS/2 Red Box, I think was the name), but it was not fully functional. The first one out was the VMware. And, as already said, the task would have been much simpler if the x86 hardware actually supported virtualization.

Back