VPC 5 checks network for additional copies

grease

Registered
Not unlike what MS Office implements, VPC 5 seems to also sniff the LAN for additional copies of VPC running with the same serial number.

I would imagine an ipfw block could be set in place just like the one that has surfaced for halting Office network checks.

Has anyone else used VPC 5 ?
How is compatibility ?
Speed ?
Non M$ OSes ? (like BeOS ?)

Admiral

aaaahhh the "sharing" of technology for "backup purposes" :p
Well by then eveyrhone will know and I will be the only one w/o a copy (and I am an OS junky...so thins like my drug :p)

Admiral

I installed Windows Xp Pro on it and that took a very long time. 1 1/2 + hours. It runs fast and Im very happy with it. I also installed Office XP and Visual Studio Enterprise. All this on a TiBook 400 w/ 512 RAM. Only issue is they dont have an additions pack for XP. Which means some cool things are missing.

ericb

vp5 is only a very small improvement ( in term of speed ). it is still way slower in osx than in os9 but at least, the full screen mode now works in X.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I just saw it on version tracker yesterday :p
Where did u people get your copies so fast ?:p

Logon to Connectix and buy your upgrade or full version.You have then the option to download online.

Thank you,
How big is the download ?
I might not be able to do it tonite if its too big.(slow 56k connection)

Admiral

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
Thank you,
How big is the download ?
I might not be able to do it tonite if its too big.(slow 56k connection)

Admiral

Ithink it is around 9.4 meg. Not too big even for 56K connection ;)

i like VPC 5

If i could test XP out on it. Someone help! i can startup dos and insert the cd, but how do i install it!

EMAIL ME the answers!
spencer@txk.net

Thanks

umm.....i just stuck in the cd and had it reboot VPC and then it booted into the cd. Make sure in settings you have it enabled to boot from CD.

VPC 5 is a big improvement in OSX. Prior when I was running the Test Drive Win 98 could barely refresh its Windows along with Office XP. Now XP is snappy along with Office XP and Visual Studio Enterprise. Im gonna toss on the .NET release candidate and see how that does.

ericb

Too late now for downloading :p
I think I will download it tomorrow at work....
I dont have XP yet but my school has a site license...perhaps I can hit someone up for a copy and test it on my work/school computer :p

Admiral

Back