VPC 5 now supports dual cpu natively...Can we now play counterstrike? LOL

Their site says that it still doesn't support 3D Graphic Excelleration, so dunno. It'll probably be faster for people with Dual Processors though since it can support that.

Dunno if I'll upgrade to this or not though. I have 4.0 and a fairly new PC with Win 2000 and Mandrake 8 right next to me, so not really worth the money to emulate something I have next to me :)

Has anybody yet tried the new VPC 5 version on his Mac wit OS X?
I tried the VPC 4 testdrive on OS X 10.1.1 on my 500 MHz iMac, and it wuz so slow that it wuz even almost impossible to tell whether win95 had a hang up or whether it wuz still runnin :D

Ill only upgrade if the speed in VPC5 ist PRETTY MUCH improved, compared to test drive. Can anybody tell me how VPC 5 runs on a G3 (iMac) ?

I ran VPC 4.0 in OS 9.2.1, and it was unusable with Windows 98 or higher. It only worked with Windows 95 (probably because less browser integration) and even then it was very very slow.

The OS X test drive's speed almost killed me. It was unusable, even in 95.

This is on a G3 350 iMac w/ 128 MB of ram.

I'd defenetally demand to somehow test 5 on something equivilant to my iMac before I'd fork over any cash to them.

Oh- to play counterstrike... that would be something :)

Stupid valve grrrr..... anyways- still bitter, even though they probably saved my GPA.

Forget counterstrike :p I just wanna use the emulators not available on the mac yet :p

Why the heck dont they implement graphics acceleration anyway ?

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
Forget counterstrike :p I just wanna use the emulators not available on the mac yet :p

Why the heck dont they implement graphics acceleration anyway ?

They did implement it, back in VPC 3 I believe. But with 4, they took it away to make it run faster (I don't know why this would be the case, but this is the reason I've always heard). For some reason I'm really doubting that they are going to bring it back. But they could probably make some money selling VPC: Gaming Edition or something like that, which would implement 3d acceleration.

I've installed and tried the Virtual PC 5.0. It's no faster than the virtual pc test drive, and therefore very slow. I have a 500Mhz iBook, and don't really need VPC since I have a PC.

So to those that are thinking of playing counter strike on it: GET REAL! It'll never work. :p

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
How much RAM do you have ? how much have you given it ?

I'm running it on mine with 384 megs of RAM. At first I only gave it 128...big mistake. I gave it 256, and ran it with nothing else in X, it still sucked hard. I just installed 9 to see how it works in there. :D

im using VPC on my 500mhz iMac g3 with 192 mb ram
installing XP at the moment 88%

win2k ran *okay*... I bumped up the resolution of win2k and noticed a slowness when closing a window. the file icons wou redraw.

3 minutes has passed
ok.. xp install done ////> wait nevermind, it was putting files on the disk.. 39 more minutes. Wow this is crappy! microsloth needs to make better installers. :)
Will post when complete.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by WoLF
im using VPC on my 500mhz iMac g3 with 192 mb ram
installing XP at the moment 88%

win2k ran *okay*... I bumped up the resolution of win2k and noticed a slowness when closing a window. the file icons wou redraw.

3 minutes has passed
ok.. xp install done ////> wait nevermind, it was putting files on the disk.. 39 more minutes. Wow this is crappy! microsloth needs to make better installers. :)
Will post when complete.:rolleyes:

The sad thing is, it's not M$'s fault. When installing on my peecee, XP took 20-30 mins. When installing XP on my iBook, it took over an hour. For some reason it just takes a very long time in VPC.

I use vpc just for funny, testing a lot of OSs. never for work.:p

No matter how the vpc is, it must be slow. slower than the windows version (I think). the instrustions traslation is slow, even under dual cpu.

Yeah. I finally finished my installation of XP on VPC5 on my 500mhz iMac--192 MB RAM.

Took a good hour or so.

and yes all i do is play with it.. I would never use Winblows as my work OS. :)
Go macs! hehe
speed wise= slow.. i tried playing games on the Plus Pack that I installed, bah i sware it would take 10 seconds to load a frame.

On monday a colleague will give me a copy of XP so that I can test it on VPC :p ... I still dont have VPC 5...oh well..one obstacle at a time ;)

Admiral

heh, if you have an older copy of VPC goto version tracker and download the upgrade.. I believe thats what people have been saying you can do.

my XP copy is cracked. :) coolio!

As for things i dont know yet, is how i can transfer a file from the mac side to the pc side. Dragging and dropping wont work - as said in the help.

I'm using COM1 as my modem device or whatever, and I put in all the correct dialup info, try to dialup, but it wont let me. Even if I have it already connected, or disconnected on the mac side

Nah.... upgrades depend on stuff...I prefer independed things :p -- I could not restrain myself and got VPC 5 anyway.... my review in another thread :p

I personally won't buy VPC again until it emulates something better than a Pentium II and has 3D Acceleration support.

Back