VPC 5 now supports dual cpu natively...Can we now play counterstrike? LOL

3D accelleration! is a must, i agree, until then VPC is a steller app that in the end emulates something we all dislike using...
Its the games we are after connectix!

I'm using other emulators on my mac and graphical work is soooooo sssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooowwwwww.

If you want slow, check out bluelabel :p (that emulator probably hasnt been updated for ages :p)

I use VPC for doing stuff I cant do on my mac (like when someone asked me for a far to do their Access Database :p)

Installed 5.0 on my Mac today at work; not sure what the big fuss was about authentication problems but it was one of the cleanest installations I've seen in a while.

Without even reading documentation, it was easy enough to figure out how to set up a clean disk image file for installing an OS onto, starting the "dumb" PC to get the "Press any key to boot from CD..." message, and running a Windows 2000 Professional installation. It was really strange seeing the ugly a$$ blue screen installer contained within an OS X window... nothing so far beats the warm fuzzy feeling you get when installing OS X!

Granted, the installation process takes much, much longer than on a real PC, but what do you expect? The only problem I had was not enabling virtual switching of the network interface which prevented me from joining the virtual PC to the NT domain during the installation process.

Otherwise, the PC functions as expected and behaves equally well on a properly administered Windows NT domain (which, I might add, I *am* in charge of running at work :p ).

Of course, performance still leaves a lot to be desired, but in a pinch, this will do great. What's particularly cool is that OS you want to boot up is only limited by the number of hard disk image files your HD can handle! For a Windows system admin, this is a dream come true!

Cheers.

Is it possible to run VPC 4 in classic mode? I guess it would b much faster then VP4 running directly under X.
Unfortunately, when I startup classic VPC 4, it says that it cannot b run under OS X. This sux. :mad:

As long as the VPC OS X version is so slow and so expensive, I won't upgrade. I've already spent a lot of money for VPC (I got VPC 1.0/3.0/4.0) and it seems like everytime a new version of Mac OS is being released I also need to get a new version of VPC to get it to run again :mad:

Maybe I'll try to write a small patch to get VPC 4 to run in classic mode under OS X. Any suggestions on how to write such a patch would b pretty much appreciated :)

BTW, has anybody else yet discovered that almost all emulations (SNES9x, PalmOS Emulator, VPC, Handy etc..) are a lot slower when running under OS X compared to running under OS 9?

I know Half-Life is better with hardware but you all do know you can play it in software mode, right? Doesn't look great but you could give it a try.

When HL came out in, what, 1995? -96? maybe it was 98... anyway, it's got legs... Harware was just starting to get more popular and in more homes. It ran ok on 250Mhz PII's in software mode. Granted, Valve has upgraded the engine to the point where the QII engine is barely there but it might still be ok.

I'd love to try it just for fun but I can't justify vpc just for that. :)

-Y

Back