VPC help

Jayem

The All Seeing
I recently aquired Connectix Virtual PC 5.0.2, I have a retail version of Windows XP home edition. I was wondering if installing the retail version would work. Or do i need a special version from Connectix?

Check out VPC's website to be sure but i belive you can install any Windows opperating system.

Twister

Doesn't MS check to see if it's been installed twice now? Be sure that you're not attempting to use the same XP license twice. I think it won't work.

VPC is effectively hardware. You can install anything, (that I'v tried anyway) and it will work with varying degrees of success. I've installed Linux, NT, 95, 98, DOS and Xinu from scratch. This was in VPC2, but I've migrated the HD's over to VPC 5 now, and it's all supa-sweet.

If you have trouble installing XP, it probably won't be VPC's fault. Their product is pretty damned solid. I'v bought it a couple of times now. :)

I have VPC 5.0 on OSX and was running Windows Me on it. Can I buy the XP upgrade and use it to upgrade this virtual pc from Me --> XP?

Thanks,
SA

make a duplicate of your HD file, and upgrade that. Then you'll have both OSes, or if the upgrade goel badly for some reason, which we all know can happen, then you haven't lost anything.

To the best of my knowledge, the upgrade should work fine.

Hi,

Vanguard: I suspect that if you activate multiple copies of XP with the same Serial # under VPC, that actually, you'll be fine. Here's why.

My understanding of XP activation is that it links a Serial # to a hardware profile of your system. The most significant advantage this has is that it effectively prevents you from installing XP on mulitple systems, because generally, different systems have different hardware profiles. Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, under VPC, your hardware profile is basically the same -- at least, as long as you are installing VPCs under similar hardware (not sure if VPC on PB G4 gives you the same hardware profile as it does under Desktop G4 or iBook, though I strongly suspect it does). That means I think that if you have an XP image, you can just share it among many VPCs.

Now, if on the other hand you wanted to share an XP image or activation code on an Intel box as a true install, and on VPC/mac, you likely will *NOT* be able to do that, for as vanguard said, the activation code would 'deactivate' the original install on other hardware, or would not install on the second hardware at all.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

-ZeroAltitude

Back