VPC question ref os9

Will_Richo

Green & Growing
Hi, i have just opened up my newly arrived vpc 6.1 and started to installand got a message ref no relevant os present?.
Prior to this, I have just completed a new install of osx panther as my g4 was second hand and had lots of stuff i did not want. But i think the fresh install has removed os9 classic? Couple of questions really.

1.Do i need os9 to install vpc 6.1?
2.If so where can i get it? i have only got the software i have purchased for this g4, namely panther and vpc 6.1. I have no os9 discs or rescue disks etc.

This is what the error message reads:
Mac os extended volumes required (also known as HFS plus) to run VPC ? what does this mean please

All help appreciated ;)

Will_Richo said:
1.Do i need os9 to install vpc 6.1?
2.If so where can i get it? i have only got the software i have purchased for this g4, namely panther and vpc 6.1. I have no os9 discs or rescue disks etc.

This is what the error message reads:
Mac os extended volumes required (also known as HFS plus) to run VPC ? what does this mean please
  1. You do not need OS 9 to install or run VPC 6, it is OS X native and so is the installer. I installed it on my Mac and it has not had OS 9 on it in over a year and a half.
  2. If for some reason you decide you just have to have OS 9 you will need to buy it from Apple or some third party source. SInce OS 9 has been eol'ed I think you can get it from Apple Customer Support for the requisite $29.95 shipping and handling
  3. Mac OS Extended (a.k.a. HFS+) is the disk format used by Apple and is the standard for use with OS X. There is another Disk Format that OS X will run on, although it is not recommended for general use, called UFS. There is also an older format called HFS that OS 9 will run on, but OS X is highly allergic to that one. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility then select the volume on your hard drive (not the drive itself) and at the bottom of the window next to Format: look for "Mac OS Extended" or "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)." If the format is anything else you will have to erase the drive and reformat it "Mac OS Extended" or "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and reinstall OS X in order to install VPC.

Ohhhh NO!!!!

It says UNIX file system???

When i was promted on install of OSX i clicked this option thinking it was right.

So i have to start all over again? Oh my!!!!!

Please confirm this is right before i re-install.

Thanks so far prof.

:eek:

I am sorry to say, you have to start all over again. In the long run, you will be much better off using Mac OS Extended (journaled). There are many features that are not supported in UFS and all the tests I have seen reported indicate that in OS X, UFS is any where from 5 to 20% slower than Mac OS Extended. Apple recommends using UFS only when you are doing heavy Unix software development.

On top of that, VPC simply will not run on UFS.

What do you recommend for backing up my ical,mail (panther), docs, itunes etc etc. Does .mac accounts let you back up all mail from mail, inc your own pop account mail? or do i need to back up my mail boxes?

:)

You'd better simply backup your whole home-folder (.mac doesn't do that, so your mail isn't backed up). And because of its size might want to choose a DVD-R or external FW drive... I see you've got an iPod you could use for that.

All Done. Only thing i did seperate was Iphoto and some docs. Bit miffed about iphoto as all my librarys are now as one? anyone know how i can make this back into as it was? when i saved i did say save as library file name.

Thanks Prof and Fryke ;)

Back