VPN-Cisco & Tiger

steveo

Registered
We got the following message regarding Cisco's VPN and Tiger:

I upgraded my home Powerbook G4 to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger this evening. It
breaks the UCSD VPN. Upon searching the web, I found a posting on a Mac OS X forum that confirmed this and mentioned that Cisco has confirmed the
problem and will not have a solution until mid May. As this is a
non-critical issue for me, I can wait. However, I imagine others may rely
on their Macs and the UCSD VPN connection. I haven't found the official
Cisco notice.

So, if you rely on your Mac and a UCSD VPN connection, I suggest you hold
off on the upgrade until Cisco releases a fix.

Does anyone know of a way around this?

So, Cisco vpn have a specific program of its own, or does it use the normal internet connect- program?

Cisco does have a Mac specific app called VPNClient that certain companies use... so yeah. I would concur with steveo's comment; if you rely on this app to log in to your company's VPN, it would be wise to hold off on installing Tiger for now.

you can always use the built-in VPN system in OSX. this is what i used for my school instead of Cisco, and it worked well. i've been using it since Panther.

I used the built in vpn in panther for work until they changed the config at work which broke it. I switched to Cisco and have had no other problems. I would like to get Tiger but really need vpn to work from home. So I guess I will have to wait.

calliex

Cisco has the following bug ID assigned CSCeg48152 addressing the VPN problem for 10.4 Tiger users. It appears they are targeting the next couple weeks to get this fix out in a newer version of the client. Watch the Cisco website for details. If you've not already upgraded and need the use of the Cisco VPN client, wait as it will not work at all until new software is released. There is no workaround other than holding off on your upgrade.

Back