VPN networking problem with new base station

jbaugh

Registered
Strictly speaking this is not an OS X problem. But I would appreciate any help you can offer me.
I have a mixed platform home network (three macs and one Windows XP home edition machine) that all share a cable high speed connection. The macs are all connected wirelessly with AirPort. The XP machine is connected by Ethernet and is used with Nortel Contivity VPN software to connect to my company. Several days ago I replaced my original graphite base station with a new Extreme base station that has both a WAN and a LAN port. Using the old base station (with the XP machine and cable modem attached to a hub, which was then attached to the single Ethernet port on the base station) everything worked fine. But since upgrading to the new base station (with the cable modem attached to the WAN port and the XP connected to the hub which is connected to the base station LAN port) I can't connect with my VPN client any longer. I have a dynamic IP number and I do internet sharing with DHCP and NAT. I have the settings in the base station configuration files essentially the same as they were before. What do I need to do to get my new setup to work? Any ideas what is going on here?
Thanks.
John

As far as I know the new build base stations have build in firewalls, or at least software firewalls. Did you ever had a look if the right ports are open for VPN traffic?
Fil

The system administrators insist nothing needs to be done on my machine to open ports. Everything works fine if Airport Extreme base station is not in the circuit.
John

Back