vpn on Parallels or boot camp?

goldenmeg

Registered
I am about to purchase a new iMac and would like to run vpn to connect to and run my windows machine at my work. Does anyone have any experience running vpn with either boot camp or parallels? Have there been problems? Does one work better than the other?

There are three approaches. You could run a VPN client on the Mac side and simply let the "PC" (Parallels) access the network through that. Or give Parallels "real" internet and run a VPN client in Windows. Third approach, of course, BootCamp. BootCamp runs Windows _natively_, so there's really nothing holding you back - it'll just be like a PC, basically.

I'd look through Parallels' user forums, maybe someone there already had this request or explained how to do it easily.

Thanks. I didn't find anything at Parallels (but I'll look again).

I'll be running vpn off of a CD. Would this make a difference? Does the driver to the CD in Boot Camp beta work well enough?

I'm leaning toward boot camp due to speed considerations, but I don't like the messiness of partitioning my hard drive.

CiscoVPN might give some issues, other VPN connections should work. Check what Parallels say :p -- should work though.
VPN via Boot Camp works, and via Fusion it works as well, so I don' see why it wouldn't work in Parallels...

Back