Vpn..

Captain Code

Staff member
Mod
I can connect to a PPTP VPN network in Panther fine, but what happens is when I'm connected, the Internet doesn't work at all. Same thing happens on Windows, but I was hopeing that OS X would work a bit better :p

Does anyone know how to use both the Internet, and a VPN connected over that same Internet connection at the same time?

I'm having the same issue, but I was able to resolve it on my PC. On the PC (using WinXP) you have select the "Networking" tab in the connection properties box. When you're there select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and hit the "Properties" button. Once you're there hit the "Advanced..." button. In there UNCHECK "Use default gateway on remote server"

Whew.

It worked for me. I was actually not able to do anything once I connected I couldn't use the internet and I couldn't connect to any of the remote drives.

I really wish I could or some else could figure out how to resolve this issue on the Mac. It's very annoying to connect but not to be able to do anything.

what output do you get from:

ifconfig -a
and
route -v get default

both with vpn connect, and disconnected? You should be able to change the default gateway back to your regular ISP with something like
route change default <your regular gateway>

Thanks for the tip! I've submitted feedback to Apple a while ago about this. Basically the problem is the ethernet device assumes that the new gateway should be the default gateway for everything when really it should only be the gateway for IP traffic destined for the same subnet as the network you are connected to.

I hope there is a way to do this in OS X without doing some low level manipulation of the routing tables :(

Captain Code said:
Thanks for the tip! I've submitted feedback to Apple a while ago about this. Basically the problem is the ethernet device assumes that the new gateway should be the default gateway for everything when really it should only be the gateway for IP traffic destined for the same subnet as the network you are connected to.

I hope there is a way to do this in OS X without doing some low level manipulation of the routing tables :(

Yeah, you could probably just change the routing tables 'by hand', but it would be nice if you didn't have to.

scruffy said:
what output do you get from:

ifconfig -a
and
route -v get default

both with vpn connect, and disconnected? You should be able to change the default gateway back to your regular ISP with something like
route change default <your regular gateway>

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. I have done ipconfig on Windows at work which is where I really would like it to work because I use it for work, but I was just trying it at home to see if it'd do the same thing and it did.

The default gateway is set to the gateway for the VPN network which I can't think of any reason why someone WOULD want that.

Back