Waa! my hard drive is dead

Cow Loon

Registered
My G4 powerbook made strange clucking noises and froze, so I rebooted and I get the crossed out symbol instead of the apple symbol. More recently I just get a grey background with no symbol at all.

Booting from the tiger DVD and holding down 'c', in disk utility I see no hard drive, only the DVD drive. I think that means it's dead, right?

Maybe I get to have a 160GB hard drive replacement now, on the bright side.

If you need to get files off, there's software like DiskWarrior to repair, and others to recover. You could also have professionals work on it.

At this point, you should get a replacement drive. Even if it does fix itself, it's on it's way out.

You mean diskwarrior might be able to get something off of it even though disk utilities doesn't show a harddrive?

I might just wait to take it to the shop. But it will be so painful to be without it for very long.

I bought a hard drive meanwhile...

I'm looking at these instructions:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/PowerBook-G4-Al-15-Inch-1-1-5-GHz-BT-1-1/Hard-Drive-Page-1-Battery

I don't understand why the guy removes the screws from the bottom, if he's ultimately taking the top off.

Well, holy crapple, apple. I just tried turning it on again and all is fine now. !?

How?

Anyway, I had better get some backups quickly in case it's going to fail again.

Clucking noises definitely aren't vehemently tied to the betterment of your computer's life or the opposite of the proliferation of chickens inside your computer case. I'm tired.

I think it might be overheating. Instead of it being a hard drive problem.

I've been resting the powerbook on a notebook tray thing with rubber feet that it might be slipping off of. I don't know what the clucking sound is then. Overheated chicken. It sounded like something mechanical moving, like a disk drive arm...

Back