Wait, what the..!?! (New PowerMac processor double-take)

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
From macminute.com:
New Power Macs feature energy-saving G4s | January 28 - 21:50 ET:
Motorola's new PowerPC 7455 processor, which powers Apple's dual-1GHz Power Mac G4 systems, is the first desktop processor to feature silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology. SOI provides a number of enhancements, including increasing processor speed while decreasing power consumption, according to c|net.

What, huh? *** simX does a double-take.

PPC 7455? Isn't the PPC 7460 the Apollo G4 processor? Or am I just way out of line here? If I'm correct and the 7460 really IS the Apollo G4 processor, and Apple is using 7455s in the new PowerMacs, then WTF??

The Apollo is the superfast G4 processor that allows the PPC G4 to get to speeds at and in excess of GHz. The new PowerMacs were widely rumored to have the Apollo G4 processor, but since these new PMG4s have the 7455 PPC processor, it appears that they still don't have the Apollo processor.... which means that there is still a lot of room for more clock speed in the G4.

That could mean that the G5:s are far away. At least one more G4 in between. If the Apollo really are 7460.

I like that. More "pressure" on the G5. :)

no mate you are misunderstanding it, if they have had to use SOI just to reach 1Gig, they are pretty much running out of options let alone have loads of head room, quite a few of the hardware review sites think the same.

Not really... I found an article somewhere (I think on macminute.com) that the 7460 Apollo processor will have even higher clock speeds at lower power consumption. An eWeek article even confirmed from his "sources" that they are already testing 1.6 GHz G4s.

It took a while, but it seems like Motorola may be getting back on the ball a bit.

Originally posted by FrgMstr
no mate you are misunderstanding it, if they have had to use SOI just to reach 1Gig, they are pretty much running out of options let alone have loads of head room, quite a few of the hardware review sites think the same.

Can you provide an couple of urls? (Or even one) I've been hearing that the new process would increase the headroom.

Thanks in advance,
Vanguard

ill have a look for ya for the urls(even though theyll be critisised for being bias etc), no doubt the new fab techniques increase the headroom of the proc all im saying is they are running out of options to get further speed bumps.

something just doesnt smeel right going to a new process and proc and only moving from 867mhz to 1 ghz

Back