Wallstreet and OSX - Flaky when running from Battery

shahn

Registered
Hello all.

I have been very frustrated as of late when using OS X.1.1 on my upgraded PB G3 Wallstreet (466 MHz/256 MB RAM/30 GB HD).

OS X would crash repeatedly in to kernal panics, random freezes, applications quitting unexpectedly, etc. THe most serious offenders seemed to be IE and System Preferences.

Until recently, I couldn't find a rhyme or reason for this but I think I've discovered something.

While I can't quantitae the frequency of the crashes, my Wallstreet is DEFINITELY more unstable running OSX when running from the battery. I crashed every 3-5 minutes last time for a total of 10 crashes until I plugged in my AC adpater. I was then able to work for 40 minutes without a single crash (I ran fsck between each crash).

Has anyone else experienced worse stability problems when running from a battery? Any insights? THanks!

Sam

I rarely run my wallstreet on the battery, I'm either at home or at work using it. As luck would have it, I just wanted to check something quickly, so it's running on the battery now.

I've been running OS X on this pb since the middle of April, and have had ZERO kernel panics on it, I guess I've been lucky. I've tried just about every dev build of 10.x on it. And on several occasions, I've had uptimes over 30 days (I've shutdown voluntarily).

Two things about the battery though:
1) I hate the way the fan continues to run during sleep, unless it's plugged in.
2) drains the battery like it's nobody's business.

This doesn't help you much, but atleast now you know it's not the machine/OS combination.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes - I know I have a bunch of upgrades to my trusty Wallstreet. More than RAM, I'm actually more concerned that my BlueChip 466 upgrade may be the cause of the problem.

I just found a new cache controller released for OS X by Powerlogix. There have been rumors that many of the BlueChip 466's have serious problems with the cache speed and don't run reliably at speeds greater than 200 MHz.

I'm going to try to set the cache speed to 187 MHz (not too different from 233) and see what happens.

Thanks all.

Back